Chapter 8

"Baby," Remi shook Sean awake. They had fallen asleep in the cabin and Sean was cuddled up to him on the floor, blankets bunched around their bodies.

Remi watched as Sean adorable blinked his eyes and scrunched his nose. His eyes met those of Remi's and a smile broke out on his face.

"What time is it?" Sean stretched and Remi watched intensely as the blanket fell revealing Sean's bare chest. His blood rushed straight to his cock and he tried to adjust his position so that Sean wouldn't notice his raging hard on.

"I think it's about ten. Would you like to join me for a hunt?"

Sean raised his eyebrows. From what he could remember, alpha wolves only hunted with the strongest of the pack. Sean was just an omega. He lowered his eyes as he thought of how unworthy he was to be this man's mate. Remi lifted Sean's chin and looked into his eyes.

"Sean you are the best thing to ever happen to me and I owe you so much that I can't even tell you how much. Never doubt yourself," he finished his declaration with a kiss to his mate's forehead.

Sean blinked back the tears that had gathered in his eyes and he stiffly nodded, silently promising to keep Remi's word.

"Now about that hunt?"

"I can't shift Remi. How am I supposed to hunt? And how do you expect me to eat raw meat?" Sean laughed. It seemed that Remi needed a lot more sleep.

"The first step to gaining your wolf back is to connect to it. We are wild animals, babe, and today you're gonna act like one."

"Can we at least roast the meat a little?" Sean asked nervously. His response was a big bellowing laugh.

***

Sean held onto Remi's back fur and he laid down, trying to keep as quiet as he could. His mate's wolf was currently stalking a deer that seemed to be the weaker of his family. Sean understood Remi's logic. He didn't want to bring down a buck, like he normally would, and killing a female was unethical. So he decided on killing the weakest male member.

Sean saw Remi's wolf tense and he let out a gasp as they shot forward. The deer didn't even have time run. Remi pounced on it and with a swift swipe of his claw he cut the animal's neck. Sean swallowed the bile that was threatening to rise up his throat. Remi huffed and Sean obediently went down.

He stood by the tree with a grimace o his face as he watched his mate use his claws to cut up the pieces of meat. He turned his face away however, when he saw Remi phase back into his human form. Good Lord, the man was naked and he was huge.

Sean gulped and a wave of lust went through him when he thought of that monster going inside of him.

"I can smell your arousal," Remi panted. Sean looked up and Remi had positioned himself behind a tree. Sean laughed at the comical sight.

"Maybe you should stay in wolf form. I'm not ready for...that yet," Sean giggled.

Before he knew it he had a big wet nose sniffing him and he laughed at the tickling sensation. His moment of joy was short lived however, because his mate took a piece of raw meat and lay it in front of him.

Sean shuddered at the sight.

Remi watched him quietly and when he realised that Sean was not going to even try to eat it, dejection overcame his features before he covered it up with indifference.

Sean, seeing the split second change, felt a pang of guilt hit him. Here he was being stubborn when all his mate wanted to do was help him. Sean sighed as he picked up the piece and not into it, his face the picture of disgust.

After a while...it didn't seem so disgusting. All of a sudden, he wanted more. His eyes widened when he felt a thump in his mind. Without a thought he ran to his wolf mate and hugged him crying into his shoulder.

He was hysterically crying tears of joy.

That was the first time his wolf had ever made himself known since he had shut him out.

***

"I'm over the moon right now," Sean gushed. They were in the mall where Sean wanted to go to commemorate the special occasion.

Remi wanted to go to a fancy restaurant so Sean agreed that they would go later tonight.

Remi chuckled as he witnessed his prancing mate and he laughed even harder when he saw the looks that they were getting. Ever since that morning, there was a permanent grin on his mate's face and he wouldn't want it any other way. After that thump it seemed that Sean's wolf was making itself known a lot more.

He would see his mate touching his head every hour and it seemed that his wolf was trying to break free. The only issue Remi foretold was that when Sean would phase into his wolf form, that it would be a lot like the first time. Painful and gut wrenching.

His phone rang and Remi took it out, all the while keeping an eye on his mate.

"Sweetheart, we need you at the house," his mother's frantic voice came through the line.

"What's going on mom?" Remi became nervous.

"There's an Alpha here with his entire pack. They are seeking refuge. Come home quickly. I don't feel comfortable talking about this on the phone."

With that his mother hung up and Remi was left feeling tense and worried. He called to Sean and they made a hasty depart from the mall.

Sean sat in the passenger side, confused. But glancing at the tense set of his mate's jaws he kept quiet. They were 10 miles from the pack house when Remi spoke.

"Baby I need you to go to the safe room while I deal with this problem," he said tensely.

"Like some defenseless damsel? Hell no," Sean turned his fiery eyes to Remi.

"It's for your safety," Remi begged.

"Well if you would tell me what's going on..." Sean left his sentence open. Remi gave him a side eye and sighed.

"There's a pack seeking refuge in my territory and I don't know why. If my suspicions are correct then they are hiding something or running from something. And usually that something has means to kill. And the first people to die are usually the mates of the powerful," Remi breathed out then begged, "so please baby, I need you to stay in the safe room."

Sean looked at his mate and sighed.

"Hell no," and he turned his head and gazed at the window. If Remi thought that Sean was truly equal he would allow him to stay by his side. He wasn't some stupid damsel in distress that couldn't protect himself.

He has gone through too much for his mate to belittle him like that. He promised Remi that he wouldn't doubt himself, but it seemed that Remi was doubting him.

They arrived at the house and Remi looked at the hard set face of his love. Such a stubborn man.

"If you meant what you said in the tree house and on our date, you would let me do this with you," Sean got out the car but he didn't get far until he felt arms wrapped around him.

"You're such a stubborn man, but I like that about you. If you're not going to be in the safe room then at least promise me that you'll behave," Remi begged. He internally chuckled when he thought of how tightly bound Sean had him on his little finger.

"I'll try," Sean pecked his lips.