Sun Summoner no more

The Darkling, still going by the name Aleksander, punches the bridge of his nose as he thinks of all the things that went wrong.

It has been two years since Alina Starkov had died.

The Darkling couldn't use her as a weapon anymore. His sun summoner was gone. All because of Mal.

"Mal, please!" Alina begged laying on the ground, holding her stomach in pain as Aleksander uses his shadows to kill the other people that are aboard the ship, distracted by the Grisha that are attacking him. Mal looks at the dagger in his hand and then back up at Alina. How does she expect him to do this? She's his best friend.

But what will happen to innocent people if he doesn't do this? Mal limps over to Alina, tears in his eyes, trying to keep his sobs in and takes her arms and brings her into a standing position, keeping her steady. She takes his hands into hers and leans her forehead against his. She then guide's his hands so the dagger is pointed at her stomach, slightly touching the clothing of her kefta.

"It's okay," she manages a smile with tears forming in her eyes, keeping her eyes locked on his own teary eyes. Mal shakes his head as he feels her start to push the dagger closer to the stomach. Holding Mal's shaking hands, she pushes the rest of the dagger into her stomach.

She gasps at the pain, and Mal shakes his head in disbelief and doesn't try to hold back the sobs anymore. "I'll meet you in the meadow," she whispers and manages a smile, feeling blood start to pool in her mouth.

Mal feels her start to collapse, he try's to hold her up, and hugs her, and he can feel her last breath upon his neck. Even after he knows she's gone, he doesn't let go. He slowly starts to sit on the ground, and sobs into Alina's shoulder. Aleksander looks over and sees the scene. Out of anger his shadows automatically kill everyone that wasn't loyal to him.

He hastily walks over and kneels down and pulls Alina and holds her face in his hands, refusing to believe that she is dead. 'How is she dead? No, no, no. She was supposed to live with me forever, she was my equal!' He has tears in his eyes but refuses to let them fall, not really out of sadness, more of anger and he looks over at Mal who is sobbing and hasn't even noticed Alina wasn't in his arms anymore.

He looks at the dagger impeded into Alina's stomach and slowly pulls it out. He carefully places Alina to the ground and stands to walk over to Mal. He places the knife against Mal's and Mal finally came to his senses and try's to back away but Aleksander slices the dagger across his throat, feeling satisfied at the blood falling and the pain on Mal's face. "That was for killing my sun summoner, you're lucky that I'm merciful."

Without another look at the dead bodies and dying man, he heads out of the fold, followed closely behind him was Ivan. At least he was still loyal, useful.

There was no more sun summoner. Who knows how long he would have to wait for another one, if there ever is another one.

But before Alina died, she knew something he didn't. There was another sun summoner. And she would change him, but for better or good? She didn't know.