five | disrupt

disturb, muddle

"I DIDN'T WANT TO DISRUPT ANYTHING."

       "Our top story this morning is that of Sirius Black, an escaped convict who is said to be armed and extremely dangerous. Authorities have not been able to narrow down his location to any one region, so the whole country is urged to be on alert. A hot line has been set up, and any sighting of Black is asked to be reported immediately. Black was imprisoned nearly twelve years ago after setting off an explosion in London that had killed thirteen, and injured seven."

       "Thirteen? I thought you said my mum said twelve?"

       Lyra didn't answer, her focus solely on the television.

       "At the time, many believed that this was yet another act of terror planned and executed by the IRA, and while authorities denied this, many were still skeptical. Authorities assured the public that Black had been working alone, and no terrorist organization, IRA or otherwise, took claim to the incident. Again, we urge you all to be highly alert. Now, to Don Takeaby with the weather."

       The television screen switched over to a plump man in front of a weather map, but the preceding image was still burned in Lyra's mind. That had been the first time she had seen a picture of her father, and it left a horrible taste in her mouth. Deranged was right. The man had looked absolutely wild, and even on the small TV screen in the corner of Uncle Wyatt's pub, she could see the twinkle of insanity in his eyes.

       "Ly," said her cousin, but as she looked distantly at the TV screen, the sound was muffled to her, as if she were underwater. "Lyra," Ari called again, this time snapping her out of her trance-like state.

       She jumped as she looked at her cousin, blinking a couple of times to refocus her eyes. She watched as his face slowly became more concerned.

       "Are you okay?" Ari asked sincerely.

       Lyra scoffed at this, her eyes already glossy. "Would you be?"

       Ari offered her a sympathetic smile, though it didn't reach his eyes. "I definitely wouldn't be," he said softly. He placed his cold hand over hers comfortingly, and Lyra gave a small, tight smile. She was glad she was having this conversation with Ari instead of anyone else. Though they were cousins, the two acted more like brother and sister, and while Lyra more fit the stereotype of an annoying little sister, Ari acted as the caring, protective big brother. He always seemed to know what to say when Lyra was upset, and even when he didn't say anything, he was a comforting presence.

       "One of them was a wizard, too," Lyra said suddenly. Ari looked confused. "That's why your mum said twelve. Twelve Muggles. One wizard."