the first victim

a/n wow i update this book way too much

TW! IF YOU DO NOT LIKE BLOOD OR DEATH PLEASE DO NOT READ AHEAD!!! THANK YOU!

"Oh wow" Sophie gaped at the log cabin in front of them. People were in the front lawn, dancing to loud blaring pop music and eating burgers. A real fourth of July party.

"Yep" Dex nodded next to her, "This is the Vacker's lake house. Their dad is the mayor so they own the best properties in town. And of course host the annual parties."

Sophie followed Edaline and Grady through the crowd. The music pounded through her ears and she kept getting jostled and pushed around by the other party attendees. By the time she made it to the front door, Sophie had completely lost sight of her adopted parents and Dex. She made her way through the front corridor and towards the back door. The interior of the cabin was strung with red, white and blue banners. Sophie started to walk over to the big open glass doors and almost tripped over her flip flop as it got caught on the floor. She regained her bearings and stepped outside into the backyard. It hadn't gotten dark yet, so she could see out into the wide expanse of trees. In front of her was a huge pool and off to the side were tables full out finger food and refreshments. And it was killed with kids her age. In the pool, on the lounge chairs, under the shade of the huge trees.

"Hey Sophie!"

She spun around to see Dex walking towards her, dragging a small blonde girl.

"Uhh hey" she smiled at both of them as they drew closer

"You must be Sophie Foster. I'm Marella" the blonde girl smirked. She had sparkling azure blue eyes and little braids were sprinkled in her wavy hair. She was wearing a bright orange romper with blue flowers, a combination that Sophie assumed only Marella could pull off.

"We've been best friends since fourth grade" Dex told Sophie proudly, "Marella punched this guy who was bullying me"

Sophie's eyes widened. She guessed that Marella was not the type of person you wanted to cross.

"Enough about me" Marella grinned "I want to know about you. The new mystery girl."

"Well I was adopted by Grady and Edaline and now I'm here" Sophie told her. She looked around and realized that they had started walking and now were over by the refreshment table.

"No juicy gossip?" Marella poured herself a cup of Fanta, "Come on you can't be that boring."

A flash of Garwin Chang's bruised face flashed before her, but she shook the thought away and nodded, "Yep, I'm pretty normal"

"How did Jensi get so cute over the summer?" Dex whispered and Sophie followed his gaze over to a curly haired boy on the other side of the pool chatting with some long-haired guys.

"I see he's still hanging out with the drooly boys" Marella rolled her eyes and then grinned at Dex, "Come on, let's go give him someone better to talk to"

She gave a quick wave to Sophie and started to pull Dex towards Jensi, leaving Sophie alone.

"Oh great" she grumbled, "The only thing worse than having to talk to people at a party was getting left alone at one. Sophie looked around and spotted Biana in the middle of a crowd of giggling girls. Their eyes locked and Biana waved over at her.

"Hey Sophie! Come over here!"

Sophie's heart picked up speed, and she quickly looked at the ground, pretending to not have heard her. Sophie heard Biana call for her again and she started to walk away, picking up speed as she got to the edge of the pool. She couldn't let Biana drag her into a mindless conversation about clothes or boys or school. Sophie wasn't looking where she was going and didn't stop herself from tripping on the rock until it was right in front of her. Her sandal got caught on the concrete and she felt herself falling. She waved out her arms, trying to somehow gain balance. Sophie sent out a silent plea for help. Falling in the pool would be even worse than talking to Biana and her friends.