Chapter Fifteen

^Gunilla^

Oh dear gods, help me.

Hungry warriors swept us up in their stampede for food. Einherjar poured in from every angle, pushing, joking, and laughing as they made their way to their seats.

"Grab onto each other," Samirah ordered us.

"Excuse me?" Magnus asked, not quite understanding. Unlike him, I did what I was told. I wrapped my arms around his neck, make him look at me with wide eyes. Don't blush, don't blush . . .

"Hold on," She told us.

The Valkyrie grabbed Magnus' wrist and flew us into the air Peter Pan-style. I tensed.

Magnus yelped, quickly putting his unoccupied arm around my waist. "A little warning?"

"I said hold on."

We skimmed above the heads of the warriors. I buried my face into Magnus' neck, not wanting to fall. Other Valkyries were flying around, too--some escorting warriors, some carrying platters of food and pitchers of drink.

We head toward what was clearly the main table. A dozen serious-looking men were seating themselves in front of golden plates and jewel-encrusted goblets. At the head of the table was an empty wooden throne with a high back, where two ravens perched, grooming their feathers.

Samirah set us down at the table to the left. When I felt the ground beneath my feet I removed my face from Magnus' neck, feeling his gaze on me as I did. I met his stare and froze. His grey orbs entranced my vision and made me lose focus due to the intensity.

Samirah coughed, making us both come to our senses. I quickly dropped my arms and stepped back, clearing my throat.

I looked around, awkwardly. Two girls and four boys, along with their Valkyries, were just getting seated at the table.

"Other newcomers?" I asked. Quite a few.

She nodded, her eyebrows furrowed. "Seven in one night is a lot."

"Is that good or bad?" Magnus asked.

"More hero's dying means more bad things are stirring in the world. Which means . . ." She pursed her lips. Well, she's not wrong. "Never mind. Let's get seated."

Before we could, a tall Valkyrie stepped in our path. "Samirah al-Abbas, what have you brought us tonight--another half-troll? Perhaps a spy from your father?"

She said the last one looking at me. I decided I didn't like her.

The girl looked about eighteen. She was stocky, with snow-blonde hair in braids down either shoulder. She wore a bandolier of ball-peen hammers over the green dress she was wearing. Around her neck hung a golden amulet shaped like a hammer. Her eyes were a cold pale blue.

"Gunilla"--Samirah's voice tightened--"this is Magnus Chase and Cerise Fierro."

Magnus held out his hand. "Gorilla? Pleased to meet you."

I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from bursting out laughing. Gorilla's nostrils flared. "It is Gunilla, captain of the Valkyries. And you, newcomer--"

The blaring horn from earlier echoed through the hall, making my ears ring painfully once again. This time I could see the source. Close to the base of the tree, two guys held a black-and-white animal horn the size of a canoe while a third guy blew into it. I grimaced.

Thousands of warriors took their seats. Gorilla gave Magnus one last hard glare, then spun on her heel and marched off to the head table.

"Be careful," Samirah warned us. "Gunilla is powerful."