21 * Are You Ready To Comply?

Sam and I were walking through the parking garage when we heard another voice. It spoke in another language. We looked at each other and Sam looked terrified. The voice continued speaking in short sentences and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Eventually a figure walked out from behind the cars and Sam grabbed me. The person spoke again and Sam looked at me and whispered, "are you okay?"

Before I could answer, the figure spoke again, continuing to walk towards us. "Are you ready to comply?" Sam's hand gripped my arm tighter and I realized what was happening.

"Are you trying to mind control me?" I practically hissed at the figure. Sam sighed.

"Thank you, Shuri."

We walked towards the figure and I recognized him as one of the people that was there when I was kidnapped. My brain flashed of all the memories of him and I felt my whole body explode with heat when I heard Sam whisper my name. His eyes at my hands.

"Huh. That's new." I looked and there were small balls of fire coming from my hands. I looked back at the hydra agent and his face had dropped. No longer feeling confident. I smiled. "You scared?" And then I broke into a run heading straight towards him. I saw him tense up and instead of running into him, I slid on the ground and swooped his legs out from under him and quickly jumped up as his body landed on the ground. He fumbled trying to get up and I walked over, placing my heel on his chest. "Good. You should be scared of me." I leaned down and punched him once, knocking him out. I straightened myself out and fixed my dress and whispered. "Who's in control?"

I looked up at Sam and he hadn't moved from his spot, face in shock. "You okay, Sam?" I asked nervously. Did I go too far? Did the fire scare him?

"That... was fucking sexy, shit!" His face broke into a smile and I started walking towards him.

I pressed my com. "Hey, guys. Our guy isn't the only hydra here... They just tried to control me. He's knocked out. We can get intel from him."

"Copy. On our way to you. Good work, Sam."

"Wasn't me, Steve. I just stood here and watched. Princess had him." Sam grinned.

"She what?" Bucky was the next to speak, shortly after Natasha said "that's my girl."

Sam threw the agent over his shoulder and gestured for me to walk first. "Ladies first."

I smiled a huge smile. Feeling so much pride in myself. Thankful that hydra couldn't take me. "Thank you."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Back at the tower, Bucky, Steve, Tony, and I met in the meeting room to discuss what the agent attempted while Sam and Natasha stayed with him.

"You didn't feel anything at all?" Steve asked.

"No. Should I have?" I looked at them confused.

Bucky answered. "Even now... when I hear my trigger words. It feels like they're trying to pull something out of my head. I feel the tug, it just doesn't win anymore. But you didn't feel anything?" I shook my head in response. All I could think about is the videos I watched of him, strapped to a chair as they would brainwash him.

"I wonder if it triggered the fire, though." I thought out loud.

"I'm sorry, what? Fire?" Tony spoke for the first time.

"Oh, yeah, I left that out, didn't I?" I gave a smile before continuing. "When I realized that's what was happening, and I saw who he was. I looked down and there were kind of balls of fire floating by my hands. I guess it was similar to the bar situation, I was angry."

Tony nodded. "Okay, fireball. We're definitely going to need to get you extra training with that, then. We'll have Wanda with you everyday. She's got weird stuff herself."

Bucky and Steve both just nodded in agreement.

Steve turned to me. "How are you feeling? Emotionally? Mentally?"

"Tired, mostly. Really tired of Hydra, though. And the fire thing seems to be pretty draining."

"Let's get you to bed, doll." Bucky wrapped his arm around me and we walked away. Neither Steve or Tony protested, but they started having a very serious looking conversation as we walked away.

Sam was waiting by my door. When Bucky saw him, he pulled his arm off of me.

"Hey, I just wanted to check in." Sam gave a half smile.

"I'm okay, I think the fire thing is just really draining, so I was going to crash early." Sam nodded, but it looked like he had more to say. "Can we talk tomorrow?" He looked uncomfortable and I really didn't want to continue the awkwardness.

"Yeah. Sure. Goodnight." Sam leaned in for a kiss, ignoring Bucky who had been silent this whole time.

I turned to Bucky. "James, as much as I'd love to invite you in... I just really think I need to be alone tonight."

He nodded. "Sure thing, doll. You know where I'll be if you need me." He leaned in and gave me a slow, gentle kiss. "I love you, Princess. Sleep well."

"I'm still gonna kick your ass for getting the team to call me that!" I yelled as he walked away. I heard him chuckle and I went into my room. Quickly changed into some pajamas and I was out as soon as I was in bed.