Dependability

Against the bustle of Tim Hortons and the chatter from the man across from me, I examine the wisps of ivory against the dark brown. Tears of condensation from the cold plastic peel to the bottom. "Madison, I'm talking to you."

I shuffle and readjust my wooly shawl. Glaring at him, I finally reply. "I'm aware of that Aaron." My tone is subtle but sharp.

He whips his head and scoffs. The atmosphere couldn't be any gawkier while I clear my throat. Avoiding Aaron only works for so long and I've learned that it is much better to face your predicaments rather than seal them away. "If you have something you want to say," hesitantly, I look at him, "say it now."

His eyes searing through mine, he runs his tongue over his teeth, before placing his hands together. "I don't understand why you're being so difficult Madi, all I want is a future for us." He stresses the word 'us' causing me to snort. An invisible flame ignites in him and I recoil when he slams his fist. "If you want this engagement to work, you better sharpen up."

I grit my teeth and something deep inside of me, once buried and for good reason, resurfaces fiercely. "'Sharpen up?'" I quote, "I should've long ago so I never would even consider that I loved a materialistic cretin like you!" Hot tears brim my eyes, threatening to overflow.

"Don't you even attempt to hide behind your façade of innocence," my breath hitches and nauseating anger washes over me. "asking me to write my will just because you want my damn company is despicable! You never cared about me; only my life's work!" Aaron is guiltily silent and toys with the lid of his coffee. I inhale a shattered breath and speak. "I also should've done this a long time ago," pulling my hand upwards, I grasp the silver ring and place it in front of him. The shop is hushed but I don't glance back to see any faces as I walk out with my bag.

I stroll home feeling somehow heavier. Fumbling with my apartment keys, I shut my door weakly. I take a step only to break into a hiccupping mess of tears. Abruptly, my phone rings noisily. "Hello..?" I answer, hoarse from crying. "Hi! Is this Madison Cherith?"

"Yes," I say unenthusiastically compared to the female on the other end of the call. "Can I help you?"

"Actually, you left your wallet during your visit to-" she says kindly. I open my mouth to ask how she acquired my number but I recall that my wallet has my business cards and my cell is imprinted on them.

"I'll pick it up later this week."

"...Of course!"

"..Thanks, bye..."

"W-wait, I-"

"Yes?"

"I don't mean to pry, but you seem profoundly upset earlier," sympathy laces her voice, "did you maybe what to talk about it? I understand if-"

Cutting her off, I frailly grin. "I would love that."