Age Versus Youth

(For Some reason all of the words merged together, bear with me here.)

Disclaimer 

This story, Age Versus Youth, is a work of complete fiction. It is solely the product of the imagination of the author, Johnathan Alexander Gold. This story is not based on anyone or anything. Names, Characters, Businesses, Places, Events, Incidents, are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events or locales is entirely coincidental. 

Copyright 

© 2020 Johnathan Alexander GoldAll Rights Reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced in whole or in part, or stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the explicit permission of the author. First Digital Edition 2020Johnathan Alexander Gold | https://www.JohnathanAlexanderGold.com |Elisity.Gold@gmail.com 

Age Versus Youth 

By Johnathan Alexander Gold 

Year after year Amanda looks into the vanity mirror and watches her grace and beauty vanish before her very eyes. She feels the world about her, abandon her to the shadows. They turn to the young, the youthful, even those who were promised unto death. There was one, however, who didn't abandon her, her beautiful young daughter Emily who was no older than 5 or6. She had always said that Amanda was beautiful in every way; Amanda scowled as she watched her daughter peacefully sleep, where was HER youth? Where did it go? Amanda remembered a tale from her old grandmother, of a book within the crypt of Princess Alaina. The book was said to hold great power, but, as her grandmother warned, at great cost. 

Amanda didn't care about the cost, I will pay it, whatever it tis, so long as my youth returns to me, she thought. So in the night she carefully rolled over the graveyard fence and fell to the ground. She made her way to the Princess's crypt and with a mallet she broke the wall about the lock. Then she made her way down the old creaking steps and through the spider-web-covered halls of the crypt; only few times did she scream, running into past relatives whom she hated. Then, there sat before her the Princess'scrypt, the one she had been searching for; the moonlight draped across the white and gold coffin allowing it to graciously glow with great intensity. Amanda pushed the stone cover to the ground and looked upon her: jewels and gold poured over the Forgotten Princess, but only one thing caught the eye of Amanda, The Sacred Book; its pages worn, but legible. 

Amanda took the book and brushed the dust from it, strange symbols glowed on the book's cover, suddenly, the Forgotten Princess grabs Amanda's arm and bellows out, "Be warned sister, there is a price to your youth." Amanda pulls her arm from the Forgotten Princess. 

"Oh sod off you old dust rag. You had your chance." Amanda turns around. "And now, it tis mine." She smiles deeply. Amanda emerges from the crypt, and after outrunning the old grave tender, she returns home. She places the book on the table and quietly creaks up the stairs, then peeks in the bedroom to check on her sleeping daughter. She smiles, soon I shall be like you, graceful daughter; young and free, she thinks to herself. She then returns to the book, unhooks the strap, and flips through the glowing pages; whispers of the spells sound about the room. So many spells, page after page, until, she reaches one titled, "iuvenale commutationem. This means, youthful change I believe." She begins to mix and pour to meet the requirements, but one ingredient escapes her grand stash, a stray hair from a youth, "For reference," as the book demands. She thinks about who she would like to look like and then thinks of her daughter."Oh to be young again!" she lets out, dropping the hair into the mix, she stirs away and then pours the spell into a teacup and begins to drink it. The more she drinks, the more her wrinkles fade and her skin tightens; her hair becomes strong and vibrant. She is Finally Young! She excitedly rushe supstairs to celebrate with her daughter, but there in the bed, lies not the daughter that she remembers, but an old woman. She turns to the mirror and sees that she is the young girl she remembers.