Taking a Turn for the Worst

"Unfortunately. We need to act fast if we want to save the OASIS and Arty." Aech says, the latter part catching my attention.

"Arty? Wait, what?" I hear my best friend cursing to himself in the background.

"The Remainders have threatened to eliminate Samantha if we don't comply with their demands in 24 hours. And because we received their demands half an hour ago, we have 23 hours and 30 minutes left." I shuddered at the thought of losing the love of my life and felt the feeling of determination brew deep inside of me.

"Then let's get the show on the road. I'm not letting Arty get hurt from this, she's been through enough as it is. It's my turn to help her now." I say.

"What would you like to do sir?" Fabian's voice suddenly says.

"Let's create an agreement to handover the OASIS." I suggest.

"Z, you want to just hand over the OASIS and everything you earned and accomplished over the last few years to this terrorist organization without even fighting for it?" Aech asks, befuddled. I nod.

"Yes, that's exactly it."

"That's not who you are! What happened to you? We need to use whatever time we have to save our world!"

"I'm in love dude, and I don't want that taken away from me, ever. You'd want the same thing if you were in my shoes. However, I also get where you're coming from, Aech, and I propose that it'd be used as soon as possible to ensure the safety of those in the distracted globe and Art3mis by allowing us more time come up with a plan." I argue, stealing another look at Samantha.

"Guys! Focus! This is exactly what the Remainders want to happen! They want us to fight and use that to their advantage. We need to work together as the High Five and stand up to their challenge. Z, your idea is excellent as a last resort, but not at the present. Aech, you're not wrong, we need to fight for the OASIS, but we need to be smart about it." Sho states, butting in our heated conversation.

"Right. So what do you suggest?" I ask.

"We need to issue a statement of reassurance to those in the Distracted Globe, to let them know we're doing the best we can. Then all of us need to get our head in the game and identify the mole within the company which will help use gain more information we can hopefully leverage against this clan."

"Are you sure you're 17?" Aech asks.

"Yeah yeah yeah, I'm smart. So what?"

"You're the most badass 17 year old ever!" Aech says.

"It's settled then, I'll join you guys soon. Samantha's nurse has returned." I inform, ending the call. I put my phone away in my pocket and give my full attention to Athena. She takes a deep breath and shakes her head.

"I'm sorry Mr. Watts, you're blood type is not compatible with Ms. Cook. She has O negative blood, and you have AB positive. On a positive note, we are in direct contact with other medical facilities in the vicinity to obtain as much blood as we can. If one packet is available for Ms. Cook, you will be notified."

"Thank you for help Athena. I have to go now." I say. She nods and I make my way out toward the waiting room. As I step foot in to the large space, a thought pops up in my mind and I quickly scramble back, nearly mowing down Athena now walking in the hallway.

"Mr. Watts? What's the matter?"

"Wasn't Samantha's grandmother hospitalized here before she passed away? Evelyn Opal Cook?" I ask.

"Sir, let's continue this conversation in a private space." She says, motioning to the private office we were standing next to. Once inside, she turns to face me.