Chapter 5

Maya felt her hands go cold as Oberyn grasped her small hand in his surprisingly smooth, sun kissed hand that practically engulfed hers. She felt a million eyes on her and Oberyn as he led her into the center of the room before he spun around to face her. Maya barely had a moment to process that they were done walking when Oberyn's warm hand slipped around her waist to press against the small of her back, his other hand gently holding her free hand. Instinctively Maya's hand appeared on Oberyn's shoulder and the prince smirked as he slowly began to lead the girl in a slow sway of a dance. After the whole dance performance earlier, Maya was grateful for a chance to not dance fast or synchronized.

"You are nervous," Oberyn observed as he took in the girl's slightly pale cheeks, wide eyes and trembling hands. She reminded him of a kitten caught in a room full of ferocious dogs.

Maya nodded as she peered left and right and around Oberyn at all the eyes on them, "I hate being the center of attention... especially when I am forced into it."

Oberyn smirked, "I trust I did not force you to dance with me, my lady."

Maya at once looked up at him, "Not at all prince Oberyn!"

The girl must have realized how quickly she responded and how she had said the words in a slightly louder tone, loud enough for a few people nearby to hear which brought a bright blush to her cheeks, her lips parting in shock and her grip on Oberyn's shoulder tightened in a failed attempt to hold back her flustered state.

To be honest, Oberyn preferred her that way, flustered at herself and avoiding his gaze for fear that her blush would increase. Releasing her hand, Oberyn touched her chin with his finger and the girl instinctively lifted her head to look at him, only to find Oberyn's warm brown eyes smiling back at her gently.

"Do not be afraid my lady. Those who fear are strong but those who are not afraid of fear are stronger." He whispered.

Maya stared at him, not sure how to respond to that, only to realize that Oberyn had wrapped his other hand around her waist, leaving her to put both hands on his shoulders. She knew she was blushing again from their close proximity and intimacy, but she was unable to draw her eyes away from the obsidian eyes that stared into her very soul.

About three hours later, Maya flopped down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling with a ridiculous grin plastered on her face. Lillia perked up from where she was sitting in a hot bubble bath while Nanteza tried her hardest to help the girl wash her curls without tangling her blond hair more. Evelyn was sitting at the nightstand brushing her hair and when Maya entered, she looked over her shoulder.

"So?" she asked, smirking. "How did the rest of the party go?"

Maya sighed heavily, "Shame you lot left early. So much talking, so much dancing... so many sore feet!"

"Are you talking about literal sore feet or sore feet as in the description of snobbish people?" Lillia asked, squeaking loudly when Nanteza poured warm water over her bubble filled curls.

"Both," Maya replied before the smile found its way back onto her face and this did not go unnoticed by Evelyn.

The dark-haired Stark rushed over and plopped down on the bed next to Maya, cupping her face in her hands, "So? Spill! Who is it!?"

Maya looked at her confused, "Who is who?"

Lillia giggled as she leapt out of the tub, barely giving Nanteza time to throw her a robe before throwing herself onto the bed, splashing water at the two girls with her still wet curls, "The guy you are so dreamily smiling about! It is written all over your face!"

"Wha..." Maya began but the huge blush that erupted on her face only brought more smiles to the three other girls.

"So?" Evelyn prodded, poking Maya in the side while Lillia inched closer which made Maya inch back out of fear of the damp and still soapy rat nest.