𝟛𝟙

The typhoons grow in severity, sheeting rain against our bus windows and blurring my view of the passing countryside. Our bus quiets as we drive by an entire Suwon village submerged: tin roof peaks poking up through muddy water like islands swept clean of life. Debris floats everywhere: the spinning wheel of an inverted rickshaw, dead fish flashing silvery underbellies, a muddy doll with her hair and red-, yellow-, and blue-striped skirt fanned out around her.

"Was anyone hurt?" Sulli asks up front. Our tour guide tells her no, and conversations pick up again.

On the last day of tour, we arrive at the hot springs resort Sohee has raved about since summer began. A wooden gate leads into a lush grove of trees. Private's Letter plays from hidden speakers, setting my feet dancing as Joohyuk and I pick our way down a stone path ankle-deep in flood waters, under dripping palm fronds that hang like curved combs, and through a grove of bamboo to the flat-roofed resort beyond. I'm hand in hand with Joohyuk as we've been since his letter, though we haven't kissed again, as though we know that once we do, there will be no holding back that flood.

"I'm a sucker for Jacuzzis," I tell him as we move through the hallways toward my room. After six days of walking the entire southern shore of Korea, the Jeju Strait is the water channel between Korea and Jeju Island, not to mention dance practice, my sore body is eager to sink into the heated pools.

"Alas, hot springs are separated between men and women." At my door, he hands me my bag, which he insists on carrying.

"Seems kind of old-fashioned."

"Those darn rules." He gives me that sly grin of his that brings to mind naughty things in the dark. His hand grasps the small of my back and he pulls me close, rubs his nose against mine. I close my eyes, anticipating, wanting the touch of his lips on mine.

Then he pulls away. Flashes a teasing smile.

I pouted. "You know something I don't and want to lord it over me?"

"Rules are rules." He heads down the hallway, refusing to say more.

"And I'm still breaking them," I call.

ʕ-̫͡-ʔ*ᵒᵛᵉᵇᵒᵃᵗ✲゚ⁱⁿ* 서울。 *

Sojee and I tie on a pale pink robe and set out for the women's hot springs on the ground floor. In a small reception room, a chubby-faced attendant hands us fluffy towels, then gestures with both hands up and down his body. He's about our age, and reminds me of my cousin Hardy. He speaks rapid Korean.

"Sorry?" I lean in, not wanting to miss important instructions.

"Naked!" He gestures with alarming enthusiasm.

"Japanese-style." Sohee laughs as we duck through a pair of linen curtain printed with blue cranes in flight. "These hot springs are used nude. He has the key word for tourists."

"Joohyuk told me they're separated by gender. 'Alas.'" I laugh. That sly tone of his. "Naked. No wonder."

Sulli and Krystal are disrobing in the bathroom already. Wall-to-wall mirrors reflect rows of cabinet where we store our robes and slippers. A teapot of red oolong tea steeps among a garden of porcelain cups. Warm air wafts from beyond a curtained doorway, along with the seductive gurgle of water and scent of minerals.

"I'm in heaven," Sohee sighs.

"Me, too." I wrap my towel around myself as the Dragon enters, stout in her own robe, salt-and-pepper hair hidden in a plastic shower cap. My locker key drops with a clatter as her eyes fall on me.