8

Despite Kaz's stubbornness, Shan had managed to lead them in the right direction to miraculously find someone selling a goat

Despite Kaz's stubbornness, Shan had managed to lead them in the right direction to miraculously find someone selling a goat. In a labyrinth of market stalls filled with jewellery, pottery, hand woven fabrics and fruit and vegetables, the task alone didn't seem doable at the start.

Kaz was taller than her so he didn't have to strain on his tiptoes to see past the villagers and the tops of stalls like she did.

She could feel his amused eyes on her as she tried peering over peoples heads to see down the long winding roads. Shan wasn't keen on goats and so wanted the job over with as soon as possible.

When Kaz tried going one direction, she'd immediately say no and begin walking the opposite way, following her own intuition, leaving him limping after her without much choice and a cloudy expression on his face.

"Do you actually know where you're going or are you just leading us on a spontaneous hike?" He finally grit out, hand tightly clawed around the top of his cane as he tried keeping up with her wandering eyes and legs.

Shan turned to look over her shoulder at him, pausing for a moment so he could catch up to her side. "I just have a feeling we'll find one this way."

"Oh, a feeling," kaz echoed, arching an eyebrow dully. "Brilliant."

As they carried on, she mused back, "you don't trust my intuition?"

"Is that what you're calling it?"

"Kaz," she sighed. "You know what it is I'm talking about."

He was quiet for a moment and she half wanted to turn and catch the look on his face, wondering if he was saying nothing as though not to discourage her or upset her.

"I don't trust nonsense."

"It isn't nonsense."

"It sounds like nonsense to me."

She shot him a disapproving look over her shoulder to which he avoided by watching his step over the cobbles.

Shan'a hawk eyes scanned their surroundings quickly, flitting over bright colours and smiling faces and steam rising from fresh cooked treats, until she laid eyes upon a man selling glass bottles of milk.

Unable to see much else as people blocked her vision, she turned back to Kaz, pinched hold of his sleeve and tugged him after her.

"This way."

He bit back his frustration building with the rough ache of his overused leg and allowed her to drag him through the milling buyers, so long as her grasp stayed on the fabric of his coat and didn't go a millimeter closer.

Shan was surprised he even let her take his sleeve.

"Look," she pointed as they rounded the corner of stalls.

A man in an old cap sat on a chair by a wooden table, glasses of fresh milk and pales sat below it. And behind the stall was a dairy cow and two goats tied to their little pens, munching on whatever dry grass they could get from the ground. The mans younger son sat in equally rough clothes, atop a crate with his legs swinging and his hat in his lap looking bored out of his mind.