Chapter Sixteen - Shay

I clutch the book Vince Ever gave me, running my thumb over the cover, wondering how this happened. We were so stupid to think we could sneak into that powerful man's office and attempt to manipulate the records.

He had his husband committed for crying out loud.

If he could do that to the man he loved, there's no telling what he could do to me.

"Want me to ride with you?" Nicky asks, making me jump.

Before I can answer, Dad Oliver speaks. "We'd like a few moments alone with our son. To make sure he's feeling okay. We'll see you at the banquet."

Nicky bristles but eventually nods. He leans forward like he's going to kiss me. I duck and twist away, not at all interested in having his lips on mine. Not since Royal. Nothing will ever compare to Royal.

"I'm sorry," I squeak out. "I'm not ready, er, for that."

"Soon," Nicky murmurs, though it sounds like a warning more so than a promise.

As soon as he walks away, my dads exchange a loaded expression. One I'm not privy to understanding. It has me exploding with fury as angry tears threaten.

"This is all your fault," I hiss, shoving past them to make my way to the car.

I climb in, slamming the book onto the seat beside me. In the span of a week, my entire life has been turned upside down. Everything I thought I knew is wrong. There are terrible people pulling strings because they can. Drunk on power.

Both my dads get into the car but they don't start the engine or speak for a long moment. I sit, vibrating with rage, as I wait for them to say something. Anything. I need answers.

"Ollie," Dad Spencer murmurs. "What do we do?"

I lift my gaze to find Dad Oliver's jaw clenching. His hands are curled around the steering wheel so tight I'm afraid he might crush it in his grasp. The muscle in his neck is taught with tension. Dad Spencer reaches over, delicately touching the muscle as though he can relax him with a simple stroke of his fingers.

It doesn't work.

"I need to think," Dad Oliver whispers. And then, he yells, "Fuck!"

His loud outburst has me cringing. My heart trips all over itself. I don't want to go to the banquet. I don't want to marry Nicky. I want to run away from all this.

As though he can hear my thoughts, Dad Oliver jerks his head over his shoulder, his eyes filled with unmasked anger. "I'm sorry, Shay."

Sorry?

"I can't," I choke out. "I can't be with Nicky."

"I know," Dad Oliver says, his brows tugging together. "And that's our fault. We agreed to the..."

"Genetic wash?" I supply, my tone dripping with acid.

"There's something you need to understand," Dad Spencer cuts in, also turning around to look at me. "Back then, when we agreed to this, it was different. Everything was so different. People were scared about the future. We all just wanted...assurance."

"It didn't work," I say icily. "I was genetically washed with Royal, wasn't I?"

Dad Spencer nods. "It was a done deal, but then—"

"Then Vince decided to fuck with everyone's lives, ignoring the damn system!"

"Ollie, stop cursing in front of Shay."