9 | Soft lips

"So thats how i ended up here" nick finished, finally looking into Karl's eyes.

Karls eyes seems to have lost the lively colour they usually hold. He was in shock. It had all happened so fast, he felt like he had missed a few chapters in a book.

"So" he finally managed to speak, "what does this mean for... you know"

"Us" nick finished

"Ye, us"

"I don't know, i may not be able to sneak out anymore"

"Oh"

"But ill send letters... i promise" he tried to reassure .

"Sounds good"

"Yeee" things seemed different now, a lot more awkward, nick didn't know what to do, it was getting early and he wanted to go back before his parents awoke"

"Well I guess this is goodbye" nick said dramatically.

"Nick this isn't a honking Disney movie" he responded. They both giggled, still looking down at the floor. Nick gained the courage to walk over to Karl. He took his chin in his hand and lifted his head to face him. They stared into each other's glistening eyes for a while... Karl rose to stand on his tippy toes, leaning into nicks inviting lips. Then nick remembered, the image of the beautiful girl smiling at him, it all felt wrong. He tilted Karl's head down and pressed his soft lips upon Karl's forehead.

Afterwards, nick tracked his way back down the cliff, Karl left empty and alone.

"Nick" he shouted.

Nick turned. "I love you" he admitted. A soft smile was shown on nicks face as he built the bravery to respond. He breathed in the cold bitter air. Karl was exited to finally hear it back. Suddenly a sense of fear rushed over nick. He turned back to the direction of his home and carried on his travels.

Karl looked into the sky. It was empty for once, no stars, black clouds covered the glistening moon... nothing.