Chapter 1: My Very Important Meeting

New Rome was the biggest, most powerful country in the world. After the United States had their second civil war, it split into two countries. Those two countries had another argument and caused the third world war. The result of this third world war was Italy becoming more powerful. (The other countries did everything but obliterate each other.) The city of Rome rose and took over half of Europe. It became the most powerful country in the world. One ruler took over, and that person was Julius Caesar. He was well liked by the people and was elected as Head of State. He and his wife, Calphurnia, slowly grew in popularity and got more and more power.

"Calphurnia," Caesar went up to her. "I'm off to my... very important meeting."

Calphurnia rolled her eyes. "It's just us. You don't have to pretend you're not going to hook up with Brutus."

"For your information," Caesar argued as he put a leather jacket on over his tunic. "I'm not going to hook up with Brutus... We're going to plan our next hookup."

Calphurnia scoffed, "You're already over there, just do it."

"We're meeting at the market, Brutus has stuff to do."

"Sure, as if you're not stuff," Calphurnia replied and hugged Caesar. "Have fun."

"Goodbye," Caesar said as he left their palace.

There were many things Caesar prided himself on. He prided himself on being well liked; he prided himself on being the first black Head of State in Rome. It was a struggle for him to climb to the top because of his race, but he did it. His wife, Calphurnia, also had her fair share of struggles. She was trans and had to deal with more of people's bigoted opinions than he did.

Caesar and Calphurnia met at university and became instant friends. They both respected each other equally and wanted a career in politics. It only made sense that they got married to each other. It was a bit after their marriage that Caesar came to the stunning realization that he was gay. They had messed around with each other a little in college, but Caesar was still questioning his sexuality. He was really nervous about telling Calphurnia, for so many reasons. When he finally mustered up the guts to tell Calphurnia, she surprised him by coming out to him as a lesbian. They decided to say married, just so their political careers wouldn't be completely ruined. They were already other minorities and they were worried them coming out as gay would harm their careers. Them having to keep their sexuality a secret, both Calphurnia and Caesar had to resort to hooking up with people in secret. Brutus was one of the men Caesar hooked up with. Caesar considered Brutus a friend above all else. Brutus was also involved in politics, they met at a campaign rally a few years prior. However, it was important in order to keep their relationship a secret, that they pretend to hate each other in public.

Caesar pretended to run into Brutus in the marketplace at the vegetable section. "Oh, it's you," Caesar pretended to be disappointed to see Brutus.

"Caesar," Brutus greeted kurtly.

"Caesar, what a surprise to see you here. I never would have guessed," Cassius said sarcastically.

Caesar glared at Cassius. He didn't want him to blow their cover. Cassius was Brutus' best friend. Cassius also had a fling with Caesar a while back, but Caesar had since moved on. As far as Caesar knew, Cassius hated him.

"You know, Brutus," Caesar ignored Cassius. "I'm surprised you're here. I thought this place would be too lively and full of energy for you."

Brutus laughed dryly, "Well, I need to get carrots somewhere."

"It's so weird how you cancelled our meeting last minute," Caesar continued. "I thought you were committing this very secret government thing."

Brutus shrugged, "Well, what can I say? Life happens."

"When's your next best time for the meeting?"

"You know, tonight works great."

"Glad to hear it," Caesar replied. "Hope you can actually turn up this time."

"Don't worry, I'll be there," Brutus snapped.

"Perfect," Caesar said before turning on his heels and walking away.

          Brutus didn't let his eyes linger on Caesar too long as he walked away. After all, he couldn't blow his cover. He did, however, notice Cassius roll his eyes. He had been weird all morning since Brutus told him he had to meet up with Caesar in the market.

"What's up with you," Brutus asked.

"What do you mean," Cassius replied, annoyed.

"Don't bullshit me. We've been friends forever. I know when you're upset."

Cassius sighed, "You know how I feel about Caesar."

"You don't like him."

"I believe my exact words were-"

"-He's an arrogant whore with a god complex, I know," Brutus cut him off.

"Exactly," Cassius replied. "How'd you-"

"Because you're always very vocal about your opinions." Brutus explained. "You complain about him a lot."

"Well, I'm right!"

Brutus sighed. He always felt a bit out of place whenever Cassius shit talked Caesar. On the one hand, he agreed with everything Cassius was saying. Caesar was arrogant and he did have a god complex. On the other hand, he didn't know exactly what his relationship was with Caesar. First, they were friends, and then they sort of became friends with benefits. Then Caesar told Brutus something surprising, and Brutus didn't know how to react to it. Everything with Caesar was so confusing, and he didn't know how to handle everything and keep a straight face all the time.

"Yes, you are right," Brutus replied. "But that's not all he is. Caesar can actually be really nice and-"

"Yeah, I know how Caesar can be when he's alone. You're not the only one who's fucked him," Cassius interrupted.

It's true, before Brutus, Caesar was hooking up with Cassius. They were hooking up for a few months before Caesar abruptly broke it off. Cassius was crushed for a while. It came to the point where Brutus thought Cassius actually had feelings for Caesar. Then, out of nowhere, Cassius just started hating Caesar. Brutus was confused, but went with it.

Brutus looked around to make sure no one heard him. Luckily no one was paying attention to them. "Keep your voice down," Brutus whispered.

"My apologies, we don't want the whole town knowing your little secret."

Brutus rolled his eyes, "You know that's not all. This could ruin him. This could ruin everyone, including you. Then, bam! No more work for you!"

Cassius sighed and looked down. Finally he said, "I have to go get some turnips. Be right back."

Brutus rolled his eyes as Cassius quickly walked away from him. He knew Cassius would need a few minutes to blow off steam before returning to his normal, pessimistic self.