Chapter 6: Murder Isn't On My Agenda Until Tomorrow

Cassius was in the market when he ran into Cicero.

"Hey, what've you been up to," Cicero asked.

Cassius shrugged. "You know. Same old same old."

"Yeah, same," he replied. "What are you doing here? I ran out of bread, and I need to go get some, so we don't starve."

"That'd probably be a good thing," Cassius joked.

They both laughed until they saw Flavius, an officer, yelling at a shop owner for having too moist cucumbers.

"God, don't you hate it when they act like they're better than us?" Cassius asked

Cicero nodded. "I know, right? Murder wasn't on today's agenda, but that can be changed."

"Yeah, murder isn't on my agenda until tomorrow."

Cicero turned, "What?"

"What?" Cassius asked. "That was a joke... obviously."

Cicero nodded.

Cassius desperately looked around for a distraction when he saw Brutus. It looked like he had just come back from Caesar's palace. "Look, there's Brutus. I have to go talk to him. See you around."

"Bye," Cicero waved.

Cassius ran up to Brutus, "Hey. What were you doing at Caesar's palace?"

Brutus shrugged, "We were just talking."

"About what?" Cassius asked, getting tense.

"Just about what's happening tomorrow."

"You told him!" Cassius explained.

"No," Brutus exclaimed. "He thinks he's getting crowned by the Senate. That's what we were talking about."

"You're not backing out of this, right?" Cassius asked.

"Of course not. Caesar is a monster who deserves to be taken down," Brutus snapped, and started walking away.

Cassius followed him, "What's with you. You're not always this... emtonial."

Brutus stopped and sighed, "I was going to ask about the letters."

"Oh," Cassius said, getting concerned. "What did he say about them?"

"He wouldn't acknowledge they existed. I asked if he fooled around with anyone in high school, but he blew the question off. I can't believe I thought I could trust him!"

"Yeah," Cassius agreed, his pulse calming down. "This is why we have to do this. We're in the right."

"You're right," Brutus replied. "Tomorrow we're killing Caesar and nothing's going to get in our way."

When Brutus went home that night, Portia was there, waiting for him.

"Brutus, what's going on?" She asked.

"What do you mean," He asked, confused.

"I'm not blind, I can tell you're sneaking around more than usual."

"I still don't know what you're talking about."

Portia sighed, "Last night five men came over dressed in all black. What was that about? Are you planning something illegal?"

"No," Brutus replied too quickly. "It's too complicated to talk about."

"I'm your wife, try me."

"You won't be my wife for much longer," Brutus said. "Don't you want to get a divorce? After all, our parents haven't bothered us in a while."

"Fine," Portia sighed. "As your best friend, the person who's known all of your secrets since secondary. Can you tell me what's going on?"

"You wouldn't understand," Brutus said, walking away.

"Please," Portia exclaimed, getting on her knees. "I'm worried about you."

Brutus turned back to her, "Stand up, Portia you shouldn't kneel-"

"Is it because I'm not as stoic as you," Portia interrupted. "Because I can be pretty fucking stoic." Portia grabbed a knife from the table and stabbed herself in the thigh without blinking an eye.

"Holy shit, Portia!" Brutus exclaimed. "I'll tell you. I'll tell you in the morning. Right now we need to clean that stab wound and go to bed. Things will be a lot clearer in the morning."

Portia pulled the knife out, barely flinching, and stood up. "Okay, I'm holding you to that."

"I'll tell you," Brutus assured. "I promise."