Chapter 2: Encounters with the Army

All of them were riding along the highway not making a single sound. The sky was partly cloudy. Not a single chaotic entity could be seen. The only out of place thing was the large smoke cloud in the distance.

"Ya know I was expecting it to be more chaotic," Quintin pointed out.

As they were driving on the highway they turned on a curve and past it they saw wrecked cars with smoke emerging from the engine, burning people running across the street followed by undead, some normal people shooting at the undead, the cries of men, women, and babies being eaten and torn limb from limb, and the smell of burning flesh in the warm air. Emily could be seen almost throwing up but she quickly tried to hold it back. Army helicopters and trucks were going to a small town north of the school. The trucks were an inch away from taking away the side view mirrors. About fifteen trucks filled with army men went by. Two of the trucks stayed behind to clear up the highway. Quintin told every to stay out of sight and duck down.

Emily whispered "We should go to my house first since its closer. There is a turn off to the road I live on across the highway."

Quintin nodded and peeked up to look at the army men execute the living and the dead. He noticed a strange marking on their necks that glowed with a pulse pattern to it. About thirty minutes later with endless single shot gunfire an army man came up to the passenger window of the tinted car. He tried to look inside. Quintin took a close look at his eyes. They were deep purple. He took the stock of his gun and almost smashed the window, but before he could one of his comrades whistled over to him and directed him to move forward. When they left Quintin lied up to take the wheel.

"I'll explain our plan and everything once we are done with our houses."

They arrived at Emily's house and the first thing they saw was her family being executed by army men. As soon as they stopped James bolted out. One army guy shot him in the leg.

"FUCK!" he yelled in pain.

"James!" She yelled and ran out to the guy who shot him.

They guy that shot James order the others "Take care of them. I'll deal with these four."

The man about to execute Emily's family placed a gun to the back of her mom's head. He pulled the trigger on each of them. Emily was struggling with the guy who shot James. In anger Quintin pulled out Dark and Light, shot both of the men with a precision headshot.

"Nicole stop James's bleeding."

She rushed over to James.

"I need a piece of cloth."

Quintin took off his jacket and threw it to her and he was going to Emily who was on her knees.

"I need you to stay with me."

"I.....did nothing." Emily stuttered "Th...they are d...dead."  She began to cry. He went over to her parents and brother, crossed their arms, and closed their eyes. He then said a pray to Death.

"Allow these three rest in peace and all sins forgiven. Even in death may they be triumphant."

Quintin went back to Emily helped her up and inside her house.

"Grab anything useful food gas, first aid supplies, water while it's still running, and clothes."

"Quintin..." Emily ran over and hugged him "They killed them."

"I know and I'm sorry we didn't get here sooner."

Her tears were like a waterfall on his shoulder. Her grip on him got tighter.

"We should look for supplies."

Emily nodded and went back to searching. A few minutes later they found a few things useful. James was laid down in the back seat. When they got to the back he sat up and said "I aint gonna have a bullet keep me down." After everything was put up in the car he took a small tank of gas and poured a little on the three dead bodies.