xiii - a night to remember

A NIGHT TO REMEMBER
-
"i feel okay when i see you smile"

• • •

"YOU'RE SO STUPID, lyn! what the shuck were you thinking?"

then came the tears once again.

they were going to die, she thought, but at least they weren't going to die alone.

"they told me to go in the maze — i didn't know what else to do, i swear! they said they'd kill me if i didn't."

at that point, thomas snapped out of his daze and joined the conversation. "they? who is they?"

lyn lifted her head from minho's chest to look at thomas. "the creators, i think. they spoke to me, but it was inside my head."

minho then pushed lyn aside and walked over to the brown-haired boy.

"and you, thomas — you just killed yourself. well done."

it was a completely hopeless situation. alby was still an unresponsive heap on the floor, thankfully not dead but certainly on its door. it didn't feel real. she wasn't ready to die; she at least wanted to remember her past before she did so.

but it likely was her last night, so she grabbed minho's shoulder and turned him away from thomas, who he was disciplining on all the reckless decisions he'd made during the month he'd spent in the glade.

she took a deep breath and began, "minho, i don't want to die-"

he attempted interrupting her, but thomas shushed him when he sensed the urgency in the girl's eyes. "but if i do, i want you to know that i think you're beautiful and kind, and if we were anywhere else i'd most definitely marry you." her eyes dropped to the floor when her confession was over, too ashamed to look at him, too scared he wouldn't feel the same. and also embarrassed about the way she said it, because upon reflection, she realised her statement sounded a little too much like something a heavily drunk person would say when meeting the king of england.

but as soon as she'd uttered the words, minho's hand lifted her chin and they locked eyes, before his lips crashed against hers.

the elation the pair felt was short-lived. the grinding and clanking of metal on stone rang around and echoed off the colossal walls.

grievers.

she knew minho and thomas had come face to face with them before, being runners, but the only time she'd ever even caught a glimpse of one of the man-made monsters was a few days prior, on the tour.

she thought minho would be the most rational in the situation seeing as he was keeper of the runners and always had a calm demeanour, but lyn could see in his eyes when she pulled away from him how terrified he truly was.

thomas grabbed alby's body and looked around for somewhere to hide him.

the ivy. she thought. "the ivy!"

the boy nodded approvingly at her suggestion as he wrapped the vines around their leader several times. he crafted a sort of pulley with the make-do ropes, enabling him to lift alby's immobile body up a metre or so. "i need help!" he screamed at the duo by his side. they followed his commands, grabbing a bit of the vine each and pulling with all their might. they got him suspended five or so metres high before minho told thomas to leave it and run. they argued back and forth for a minute, until they finally tied the vine off and each grabbed one of the girl's wrists, dragging her behind them. eventually their grasps slipped down to her hands, which felt a lot more comfortable for all three of them.