Prologue

16 years ago

An older woman held a baby as she walked up the stone filled hillside. Both the woman and child were wearing black and shivering in the weather. Rain lightly drizzled around them, the wind blowing it under their umbrella right into her face. The weather was terrible and added to her sorrowful mood, yet it didn't deter the woman. She held the baby closer as they approached the top of the hill.

The woman reached her destination and sat down on the wet grass. Infront of her was a tombstone. "Jessica Davies, 1983-2004, Beloved mother and daughter." Tears ran down the woman's face.

"What happened Jessica?" she asked no one in particular, "What went wrong?"

"M- m- ma- mam- mama"

"Hi Mommy; Daddy said you were sick so I brought you toast!"

"Mommy mommy!! I got an A on my spelling test!"

"Mom, there's a club meeting today afterschool do you think you can pick me up?"

"Mom, I have a boyfriend!"

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I GOT ACCEPTED!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO UNIVERSITY!!!"

"Mom, I'm pregnant!"

"I love you mom"

The woman stood up. She touched the tombstone like it could bring back what she had lost. "Jess, I will raise your child since you were never able."

The woman took one last lingering glance at the tombstone before she clutched Jessica's child even tighter and walked away leaving her old life, and her daughter, behind.