One

Idalia

My toes burn with pain as I struggle to walk as gracefully as possible towards the huge mansion and my dress feels so tight around my waist that I can barely breathe. You would think lace is comfortable, but this dress is something else. The material underneath the lace doesn't quite let room for breathing, not to mention eating something. I am starving right now.

I love this job but I hate it when we have to go visit important clients or when they come at our office for meetings. Jim always makes everyone dress like we work for a fashion magazine instead of a marketing and distribution agency. However, this visit has been planned for months, and knowing how much of a control freak Jim is, I must now suck it up and take one for the team.

My thoughts run to the conversation I had with Ava, just before we left the office earlier.

"Why did he make me do this again?" I asked her for the hundredth time.

"Oh, come on! You know the bastard always takes some 'eye candy' with him to distract all clients." She told me and I rolled my eyes annoyed that she was right. The things I have to do...

"Very helpful, Ava. Such a comforting thought!" I told her sarcastically.

"You also happen to be 'eye candy' with brains." She winked at me and I let out a nervous chuckle.

"I am not the only female with brains around here." I told her and this time she rolled her eyes at me.

"Just go in there and knock them all off their rich asses!" She told me and I giggled.

"You are crazy! Are you done with my hair?" I asked her curiously.

"My masterpiece is complete now. Also, you look smoking hot in that dress!"

Her voice plays in my head, boosting my confidence a little. At least she has my back. I couldn't do this alone.

"As long as I don't fall on my face from these heels." I say to myself nervously as we reach the front door.

"Please tell me you have everything ready in that pretty little head of yours!" His comment is as offensive as ever but I decide to ignore it because I need to stay focused.

"Sure thing! I've memorized the details. He can't refuse us! We might not be the biggest agency, but we are among the best there are." I tell him as we reach the door.

"Not very comforting, Ida." He says as he plasters his fake business smile on his face. Seeing him this stressed out makes me feel anxious as well. I don't know why I was assigned to this guy. Who is he, anyway? I couldn't find anything online about him and the briefing was very scarce as well.

"Mr. Lawrence, welcome." The man invites us in and I take a quick look at the entry hallway; quite a sofisticated italian design.

"Jim! Welcome! Cade will be running a bit late. His flight was delayed." A blonde man comes and greets him and then turns to me. "Where are my manners? I am Jan Loup." He says and offers me his hand to shake.

"Ida Lumien." I tell him and he smiles warmly at me. I force myself to smile back and try to ignore the burning sensation in my left foot. Damn it, I need to be able to stand and walk around, and these shoes are making it impossible for me to do any of those things.

"If you will please excuse me, I would like to go and get my nose powdered. Can you let me know where the ladies room is?" I tell them both as Jim gives me a glare.

After I receive the instructions, I quickly find the bathroom and lock myself in it. I open my purse and search desperately for a band aid to cover up the blister that has most certainly appeared on the back of my heel.