Ch 1. AFTER BITE

Sun rays peeked through the window waking Caroline from her deep slumber

Sun rays peeked through the window waking Caroline from her deep slumber. As she tried to orient herself, she felt an unfamiliar weight in her chest, a deep exhaustion that lingered even after a full night's sleep. She stretched her arms, her muscles feeling heavy and unresponsive. Something was off.

As she sat up, a wave of dizziness hit her, making her sway unsteadily. She reached for the edge of the bed, grasping it tightly until the spinning in her head slowed. A creeping sense of unease took hold of her as she looked around the room, her eyes searching for clues to what had happened the night before.

'What the hell happened last night?', she whispered holding her head trying to recall the events of last night.

All she could remember was meeting a cute no scratch that a HOT older guy, a lot of kissing... and his eyes turning bloodshot red with veins popping out... And THE BITE. HE BIT HER! Her hand shot up her neck feeling the bite marks while looking at herself through the mirror in her room. She looked like a mess, with her hair all over the place and dried-up blood on her neck and pillow. Remembering the person next to her, she turned to look at him laying on the right side of her bed. He was still sleeping (or at least she thought he was) still looking VERY HOT. 

"Not the time Caroline," she reminded herself.

The blonde's heart was racing as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She couldn't believe what had happened last night. Meeting the hot older guy had seemed like a dream come true, but now she wasn't so sure. The memory of his eyes turning red and the veins popping out still made her shudder.

She lifted her hand to touch the bite marks on her neck, wincing as she felt the pain. How could she have been so stupid? She knew she shouldn't have let him get so close, but in the moment, she couldn't resist him. Now she was paying the price.

As she turned to look at the man still lying in her bed, she felt a mix of attraction and fear. He looked peaceful, almost innocent, but Caroline knew better than to trust appearances. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about him, something dangerous and otherworldly.

'VAMPIRE', that was all Caroline could whisper.

Honestly, she was freaking out. For once in all her life she meets a boy first before Elena hypnotises them with her Bambi eyes (but she was sure he would eventually get hypnotized as well). Just once and he HAD to be a VAMPIRE. Yes, she knows vampires exist and no she wasn't told by anyone she found out on her own, well kind of.

Caroline first got suspicious ever since her mom started receiving those strange, late-night phone calls from the sheriff's office, the blonde knew something was up.

She had tried to ignore it at first, chalking it up to her mom's job as the Sheriff of their small town. But the more she listened in on those calls, the more she realized that there was something darker at play.

Caroline heard words like "stake," "vervain," and "the Gilbert compass" being thrown around, and she couldn't help but wonder what they meant. But the word that stuck out to her the most was "vampire." It was a word that she had only heard in movies and TV shows, but what did that have to do with her mom. Did her mom start an twilight fan page all of a sudden?