{20} A Snowy Woodland

Numb [nuhm] adj. Deprived of feeling or responsiveness; incapable of action or of feeling emotion.

Emptiness

That's what I'm feeling right now.

Despondency. Isolation. Despair.

Unable to think.

Unable to feel.

I'm floating in an empty abyss of nothingness, with no end and no beginning.

I'm alone.

There's no one here but me.

It's dark.

There's no light.

No way out.

How long have I been like this?

My vision is hazy and I think I have lead blocks in place of limbs.

All I know is that they're heavy.

And then slowly, the abyss begins to fade.

I come to on the ground, vivid green in my line of sight and the first thing I do is yelp and throw my hand. My palm comes into contact with skin and the green moves back until I can make out Adonis' annoyed expression, his lips downturned in a scowl.

"What happened?" I ask, pushing myself to my feet.

A dizzy spell hits me instantly and I sway a bit. Adonis grabs a hold of my arm to steady me but I yank my arm out of his grasp with a cold glare.

He backs up, his face blank and his lips stretched into a thin line.

"You dropped," he says.

"I passed out?!"

He shakes his head. "No, but you were close. I think your legs just gave out."

I let out a relieved breath.

That's good at least.

And then the realization sets in.

He's gone.

Where could he be?

I voice these thoughts to Adonis but he runs his fingers through his hair, glowering at me.

"I don't fucking know. If I did, you think I'd come to you for help," he scoffs, rolling his eyes.

I cross my arms, wishing for once that I had Supergirl's powers so I could shoot lasers from my eyes and roast this mothafucker.

But unfortunately, the universe isn't that nice to me.

Instead, I inhale deeply and exhale, willing myself to stay calm.

"Do you at least have an idea of where he could be?"

He shrugs. "He could be anywhere in North America."

I roll my eyes. "How helpful of you," I respond cattily and he gives me a dirty look.

I pace the length of the classroom, tapping my chin thoughtfully as I try to recall everything he'd told me in case there was something that could help me find him.

What does he like?

Running, cake, the color blue, waterfalls...me.

A small laugh escapes my lips at the last two, as the memory of our first official date plays out in my mind like some kind of old-timey VCR.

*Flashback*

I giggled slightly as Eros led me along a path, one of his hands covering my eyes gently and the other wrapped around my waist to keep me steady.