For Getting You

"I want to marry Lady Maia Eastenborough."

The crowd watching the awarding ceremony with the King and Queen erupted into whispers. Requests and prizes for victorious battles often range from a rank promotion to more land, money, and influence.

Never had anyone ever requested a royal appointed engagement to be their reward. Though, it was not entirely against the law to begin with.

And so, it was said that Edmon Marcus of Fremont made history in the empire to openly request a woman's hand by royal decree, forcing the court to set some limitations thereafter.

A week later, Edmon was nervously sitting in the Eastenborough parlor with Maia across the table. Her eyes were set on him, almost as if criticizing every inch of his existence.

"Excuse my bluntness, my lord," she suddenly said, placing her tea cup down. "Why me? You could've asked for any unmarried, childless, and more suitable lady to be your future spouse. Anyone would be thrilled to be betrothed to you."

"But they're not you, my lady," he honestly answered, giving a quick glance at her before averting them again.

He couldn't really tell why but his heart was beating so fast. It never became like this even when he was in the middle of the battlefield. He would slash and slice his opponents and feel nothing. But just having the lady with him in the same room made him fidgety. Anxious, even.

It was something he only felt with her. And he couldn't decipher it.

"T-that... that doesn't really answer my question though." Maia commented, taken aback. "I know our engagement is a royal decree. So, I really couldn't refuse. But could you still listen to my two conditions before I officially accept it, my lord?"

"Yes. Please tell me, my lady, what do you want?" His tone became eager. He felt hope creeping back in him. And he's more determined to please the lady.

"First, since the estate is still in a period of grieving, I would like to ask you to not visit me in respect of Lord Caden's memory and to return only after we finish our mourning. And I also need sufficient time to transfer all my duties to the head butler."

Edmon only nodded in agreement. He understood her concerns clearly. Especially that the Baron had only passed a month prior after their party was defeated in the frontlines. A brave noble man, he assumed.

"And the second one?" he probed, curious.

"I will solely decide on what is best for my son, Alexis. While I am alive, well, and still in my right mind, I would like a security that no one will ever question my way of raising him. Not even you, my lord." She eyed him from her settee, expecting a protest.

But Edmon only continued to nod, smiling dreamily towards her.

"My... lord?" Maia was unsure if the Duke's son had gone crazy or fell asleep with a grin.

"Oh, I am listening, Lady Maia," Edmon responded with a small chuckle. "It's just that you sounded so strong and confident with your last request that I feel proud that I chose you to be my wife."

"Soon-to-be wife." Maia corrected firmly.

"Ah, but at the end of it all, you will still be... my wife." He giggled at the last two words, obviously excited at the notion of the woman being by his side.

None of the people with him could believe that the same man that ruthlessly killed the invading enemy was currently surrounded by an aura akin to a young lady in love. They could almost see flowers in his background.