Chapter 2 - The Detour

On their journey to Urokodaki's place, the two spent a good few minutes walking in silence, but it wasn't the type of silence that would make anyone uncomfortable. The two just enjoyed each other's company and presence, as well as the wonderful weather and the warmth of the sun on their backs. 

 "Tsuyuri-sa... Kanao." Tanjiro broke the silence by awkwardly calling her, not knowing whether she would be comfortable with him calling her by her first name. "You decided to join us. I'm happy to have you on board!" He added, to which he never realized that his excitement was contagious. 

Tanjiro had been bringing Kanao out of her shell ever since the coin toss, and it was more apparent at that moment more than ever before. She made the decision to go on her own and knowing Kanao, it was quite the big deal that shocked Shinobu and the whole household, though Shinobu knew Kanao had been growing and strengthening all along. 

 "Tanjiro..." She finally responded quietly as their walking pace synced, her lilac orbs glistening as the sunlight hits her face, highlighting her features. "Thank you. I now know my purpose and the decisions I have to make to fulfill it. Like a small fire in the middle of darkness, you showed me the way to my own heart. You set me free." Her smile grew bigger as she spoke. 

 They were approaching their destination as the two grew fond of each other, though it was more of Tanjiro telling her stories from his childhood with his loving family, the mystery of the dance of the fire god, and other shenanigans with his fellow Demon Slayer friends Zenitsu and Inousuke. Kanao gradually became more expressive, showing her interest in his stories as time passed and the day turned to night.

 As the sun started to set, the two were about an hour away by foot from Urokodaki's residence. Enjoying the beautiful view as they walked uphill, Tanjiro let out a sigh of relief. "One more hour before a nice pot of chicken soup!" He spoke as his arms stretched to release tension.

Tanjiro stopped in his tracks, holding his arm out to stop Kanao from walking any further. "I can sense it. Something's not right..." He whispered quietly, trying to not make too much noise. 

The wind blew colder as the darkness of the night began to settle. The two had to bring their journey to a pause and investigate, following Tanjiro's strong sense of smell. Each step that they took, they had to make sure it had to be as stealthy as possible, which limited their movement and speed. 

 Tanjiro was stopped by Kanao's gasp, followed by a light squeeze to his hand. Her lilac eyes started to tear up before the tears just streamed down her cheeks and dropped to the grass. She had the best vision out of the newer generation of slayers, making her the first to see the horrifying view of a fallen Hashira.