18 | Twenty Six Years

FP, Alice, and Charles have all had moments of tribulation prior to their current situation. A single change in their timeline would have led to a different sequence of events.

| November 1991 |

FP enters Coach Kleats's office and takes a seat in front of his desk. He waits for the man to come back in from the hallway. His coach shuts the door so they can finally have a very important conversation. Football season is over and that means college recruiters are done scouting their football team for potential freshmen.

"Well, what did they think?"

"FP, you are one of my star players, but you did lose a bit of your magic towards the second half of the season."

"But I still gave it my all, coach. I really need these scholarships. Can you tell me that at least one of the men I spoke to was interested?"

"FP, you missed out on an important season last year."

"That's not my fault. It's not like I wanted to."

"I understand, but as your coach I have to be honest with you. Junior year is an important year for college recruitments."

"I was trying to make it up this year."

"I believe you, Jones, but if you put any more force on that arm you would have sacrificed an athletics career as a whole."

"I'm right handed. My left one was broken. I throw with my right! I can play for their schools!"

"They weren't interested. Point blank. I'm sorry."

"You're telling me not a single one wanted me?" FP scoffs. "Why didn't they really want me? I find it hard to believe it was just because of my injury." FP leans back in the chair. The realization strikes him. "It's because it's me, isn't it? Because I'm a Serpent."

"Gang affiliation is a red flag to any university."

"You could have just led with that ages ago," FP scoots his chair back angrily. "You really made me believe I had even the slightest shot at doing this."

"FP-"

"No, I get it. It's all my old man's fault again." FP storms out. It's his fault for believing the Bulldogs would get him somewhere.

| December 1991 |

Seven months pregnant now and Alice is considered a young adult at eighteen.

A group home would have never been her guess for where she would be celebrating the occasion. She doesn't think she should even call this a celebration.

She appreciates having her baby with her. The baby is what is keeping her sane. She is cherishing these moments the most she can.

She sits alone in her room. Her roommate stepped out to take a walk in the garden. She can see her down there from their window.

Alice looks down at her belly. She has grown a very noticeable bump. She rubs her hands gently around the bump. "Mommy wants to keep you safe. I don't think that's with me. You wouldn't like my home. It's not really home if I had to tell you the truth. Grandma wouldn't be like other grandmas. Maybe she doesn't even know I haven't been home in three months. I want you to know that I love you, honey. Doing this doesn't mean I love you any less. I want you to know you are loved. That's why a happy family will adopt you soon. You're going to have what I didn't. Maybe your daddy would agree with me here. He loves you so so much. He doesn't know about you though. I'm sorry. You probably would think I should have told him. I know I should have. And I probably shouldn't have told him he would turn out like your grandpa Forsythe. I didn't mean to, I promise. I was just so angry. I hate your daddy sometimes...well no I don't. The truth is I want him. When I'm around him, I'm like silly putty. I didn't mean what I told him. He would make a good daddy. Do you believe me?" Alice feels a soft kick against her skin, making her smile. "I'm glad you do. Maybe one day we will be lucky enough to have you back."