Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Second Savor: Shanks
Second Savor ~ Shanks

The weather report today wasn't kidding when it predicted heavy showers. It was raining cats and dogs tonight, and Hell, I couldn't see that clearly.

As the rain grew stronger, I decided to switch on the windshield wiper. Two mechanical arms folded from left to right, providing better clarity. It wasn't really a good idea, though. It helped, yeah—but not as much, since it wasn't as clear as I hoped. Second-hand cars are that cheap.

Giving up on straining my eyes further, I glanced at Luffy from the side before eyeing the road and sighing. "Oi, Luffy, don't tell me you fell asleep again!" Yup, the narcoleptic kid fell asleep. He's been dozing off a lot more often these days—or maybe it was just the exhaustion from moving into a new home. Perhaps the weather was that relaxing? It could be just me, really, with not much clue—not that it matters. He needed the rest.

I always felt that a certain exigency ran this house. The owner was quite an enforcer. Unfortunately, he was gone, and the liveliness of this home was crumbling, to fade away eventually. For the time being, that feeling—or whatever remained of it—could only cling to the only occupant left in this house.

What was up with the afternoon that day? It was sluggish and time enjoyed a nice hiatus. The air was pretty dead for a supposedly beautiful spring. If you asked me for anything striking about the place, I wouldn't have much to say. Other than a few pieces of furniture that originally came with the residence, there was nothing left. Old Man Garp's valuables had been shipped, either to the new apartment or for temporary detainment. Luffy, his only heir, was still a minor, and because Garp's death was untimely, his last will wasn't fully specific.

As stated in the will, though, Luffy had to be placed under my custody. I was kind of the obvious choice in the matter, me being the closest to him. With that settled, I moved in with Luffy while addressing certain property issues that needed resolution. When I made that decision to move in, I took his emotional condition to consideration. This feeling was definitely new to him. He probably didn't want to leave his home—at least, not yet. I knew how hard it was to let go.

When I checked my watch, it was half past four. Bloody late, I remarked while resting my hands on the table. There were some lease papers that needed signing, and the buyer of the house, along with his broker, wasn't an early bird. I was, however, entertained by a kid devouring an extra large bucket of chicken wings while we sat around the small kitchen table. I was amused, yet a little sad, at watching this display. It was sad to say that it was going to be his last meal before leaving this house—and all of its memories—forever. It meant a lot.

Luffy looked at me, satisfied with his meal. "Bhenks, Bankshu!" Thanks, Shanks. Chicken bits were still in between his teeth, and while he said this, he bore a smile. That trademark smile of his was complemented by a bright shine in his eyes. Seeing him smile made me produce my own.

For the many years I knew Luffy, he always had a simple mind and an optimistic view. It never faltered, even with the news of that old man's death—reminding me of someone I knew all too well. He went through the funeral processions with a smile and a farewell to his grandfather before the burial. Later on, when the eulogies were said and done, I caught the kid binging on the small feast prepared for the funeral guests. A lot of us guessed he was doing so out of depression—until we all found out that the funeral preparations Luffy pitched in to fix charged him a light breakfast. Luffy, intending to make up for a half-filling meal, made an effort to satisfy himself.

Looking back at it, I'd say I underestimated him and his ability to walk forward. He knew Garp passed away and he accepted it. I expected breakdowns, failing grades and isolation, but none of those came. I knew Luffy was still a kid, currently thirteen years old, but he handled the situation like a man. He continued to smile, and at one point, I recalled myself asking if he cared for Garp's soul—just for curiosity's sake.