Chapter 18

There is some kind of twisted comfort to be garnered from someone else's misfortune. Particularly, when that person has a history of playing the antagonist in your life. So, I was rather surprised when the news of Jennifer being fired didn't bring the kind of joy I would have expected. Instead, the one feeling that overshadowed everything else was the mystery that connected the incident to the man who was standing in front of me, looking utterly bemused.

"You fired Jennifer, didn't you?" As much as I tried to sound neutral, the irritation that was threatening to make an appearance, managed to seep through into my voice.

Somewhere in the distance, the receding wail of a siren was the only sound to intrude upon the silence that followed my question. Seconds went by, before the first signs of a response settled on his handsome features, the creases of confusion smoothing out with ease. An air of nonchalance overtook his posture, shoulders shrugging with indifference as he stared right back.

"Yes."

My jaws clenched in subtle impatience at his paltry response, my carefully withheld temper cracking at the corners. In truth, I could not comprehend why I was angry in the first place. If anything, the appropriate response would have been to thank the man for getting rid of a bully, who had a track record of abusing their seniority and power in the work place. But here I was, annoyed that everything surrounding him, had a nasty habit of catching me off guard.

And I wasn't the type, who enjoyed surprises. "Well? Are you going to tell me why?"

A fleeting shadow of something akin to frustration passed his face as his hand moved to pinch the bridge of his nose, breathing out in a loud exhale. Running his hand through his hair, he looked up at me with brows furrowed and an accusing gaze. "Here's what I would like to know Mia. Why do you always insist on jumping to conclusions before you have all the facts?"

My mouth dropped open in disbelief, the sting of criticism kicking me in the gut and forcing the air out of my lungs. How dare he accuse me of something he is equally guilty of? He had walked in here and beat up my friend assuming that something was going on. And now he tells me that I'm acting based on assumptions and not facts?! The gall! A volatile mix of anger and hurt sizzled to the forefront as I prepared to retaliate.

But the words died, just as quickly as they were formed when I noticed his eyes suddenly flash gold, the silver rapidly consumed by the darkness, making his eyes appear black. An odd chill settled in the space between us, thoughts that I wanted to express long forgotten, as I stared into those icy pits.

I shivered, the hairs on the back of my neck rising as I waited in dread to face his wrath. The sounds and the warmth from the day outside evaporated into the vacuum that choked the air around us.

To my surprise, however, he remained silent. And as the forced calm between us stretched, my insides squirmed uncomfortably, preferring to be on the receiving end of his anger rather than having to deal with this awkwardness that hung over us like a dark cloud. Twice, I wanted to speak my mind but a voice inside, warned me against that decision.

When he finally decided to speak, I was left confused about his emotional state. In contrary to his intimidating exterior, there was an unexpected hint of sadness in his voice that pulled at my heart strings.

"When I gave you the job, you questioned my intentions. When the rumours started, you shut me out. When I fire the person responsible, you stand here and question me like I'm some kind of low-life criminal. Why? What have I done to earn that kind of distrust?"

I was definitely not prepared for this line of questioning. On the one hand, I was itching to have a go at him, my wounded pride seeking retribution and on the other hand I wanted to genuinely understand where he was coming from.