Where We Belong - Chapter 19

Chapter NINETEEN

Where are you? I thought you were going to wait for me to finish my last exam?

   I opened the text from Kane, an hour later, at home. My heart was beating too fast. I knew he could calm me down, but I was still so confused. If Marisa knew what Kyler had done to me, who else knew? I had assumed I'd gotten past all of it without people whispering about me, but maybe that wasn't the case at all.

   Home. I sent him back a text.

   Oh okay. Can you go out tonight? Trenton's after dinner?

   I'll ask.

   Are you okay? There was that question again.

   Yeah, fine.

~~~

   "Can I got out tonight?" I asked my parents, at dinner a short while later. My mom was smiling at me. She always seemed to be smiling these days.

   "How were your exams?" my dad asked, not answering the question just yet.

   "Good. Nothing too difficult," I answered.

   "I'm proud of you for not letting your... struggles... affect your school work," my dad went on.

   "It was fine," I said, picking at my veggies.

   He smiled, then finished, "Where are you going tonight?"

   I'd been lying for weeks, telling them I was heading to Kaylee's or Georgia's or the mall, or anywhere other than where I was actually going. They trusted me, which made it worse. But for some reason I didn't want them to know where I was going. I just wanted this part of my new life to be for me and Kane.

   "Just the cafe, meeting Kaylee. I won't be late," I said easily.

   My mom nodded. "You're on winter break! You don't have to worry about school for two  weeks." 

   "Right, I know," I replied.

   She gave me another smile, then went back to finishing her dinner. I texted Kane when I was done eating, to tell him I could go out. I was still feeling strange about talking to Marisa, but maybe Kane could talk me through it. He told me to come over whenever, so I tossed on my coat and boots and headed out.

   On the walk, I let my mind play out different scenarios, which is something I did all too often. Maybe Kane didn't really sleep with Marisa. Maybe Marisa knew Stephanie. Or maybe Marisa knew, because everyone knew, but no one wanted to say anything to me about it. I was glad to not have to go to school on Monday to find out. 

   I walked right in to Trenton's house, but the living room was dark. I reached the basement door and heard the TV was on, loud. Trenton, Marcus and Kane were all playing a video game. I often wished to see Jessie there, just to have a girl around, which is likely why I had agreed to her plan. Trenton waved, Kane smiled, but they continued on with their racing game. When the race ended, Kane put down his remote.

   "Hey," he said to me. "What's up?"

   I shrugged, sitting on the empty sofa. Now, there were three open bags of snacks and some chocolate bar wrappers on the table in front of me. Kane came over and sat beside me, knowing something wasn't right.