Chapter Thirty-Three: When the Duchess Holds the Line

Ilaria Rosalind Valentina

I couldn't find my freaking necklace. Or my heels. Please don't even bother to ask if I had a fraction of a clue as to where my keys and wallet rested. I was just praying that I was going to make it out of this house in enough time to ensure Lina didn't starting blowing my phone to Hades Domain and back.

"Urggg! Just appear already!" I yelled as I stomped my foot in the middle of Sefano's bedroom. I was going to lose my mind.

"I guess these are the subject of frustration?" His deep voice called and I jumped with a scream, thankful for being barefoot so I didn't go sliding across the floor and clean onto my behind. He stood shoulders shaking as he turned some trying horribly to cover his laughter. I wanted to march over to him and punch him in the face, but I was trying to be the peaceful and loving human being that I was and not resort to that kind of violence in the mid-morning hours.

"Honestly you make me sick! Why would you do that?" I snapped, and he shrugged with his amusement still dancing in his light blue eyes that twinkled with hints of mischief.

"All I did was bring you the shoes you lost because you took them off in a place that you shouldn't. Again. For the millionth time. I also wanted to make sure you knew that your car keys were downstairs on the walkway table, and that I was going to start your car up for you. If that makes you sick, well, you're shit out of luck," He chuckled, and I growled at him as my hands clenched together. He didn't even bother to hide his laughter as I marched my way over to him and pushed him in the shoulder.

"Give me my shoes so I can go!" I demanded, and he rose a brow at me.

"I'm going to make the wild suggestion that you fix your attitude. Then and only then will I give you these shoes," He resorted, his voice deepening daring me to disobey: so naturally I took the dare.

"Or you can give me my things so that way I can go. I have to go pick up Lina and get to the cafe before my manager leaves so I can fill out my final papers in peace. Move your tree body self out of my way!" I said pointing towards the door, and he smirked before actually complying.

I blinked rapidly not at all trusting him as I bent down and wearily grabbed the shoes. He made a move towards the door and walked out while I was left shaking my head in the silence as I slid the heels onto my feet. I stalked around the room stopping to take in the way the grey dress fit underneath my jean jacket. My hair was for once secured down my back in two fishtail braids on both sides of my head, and I was ready to take on my day that had clearly already had the most hectic start.

Despite the start, I'd be remised if I didn't admit to liking hectic. Hectic was more in line with my normal which is exactly what I had missed the days following the car accident. Things weren't moving slowly anymore, and the switch that had been incessantly toggling had been rendered still at last. I could breath a bit, but it was only because I could come to grips with the fact that I had done everything I could to ensure keeping her alive. The car accident itself was out of my control, and what was a blessing was the fact that I was even alive at all because I could've easily died with her. I decided to take my blessings for what they were and live in the present: And present was a hectic blur of my not knowing where my heels rested, a clue as to where I last laid my keys, and not knowing if I had my purse filled with my phone or if I'd have to succumb to calling it a hundred times on my boyfriend's phone.