Chapter 22

YVE

I woke up in the middle of the night and I watched JC sleep, he looked peaceful now. When dad called me and asked me to go to the coffee shop across the street because JC needs me, I ran as fast as I could, I almost got hit by a car.

I've never seen JC have a panic or anxiety attack before. Dad said his last words before he passed out were, I need Yve, that's why he called me. It took a few minutes before he regained consciousness but dad said we needed to wait it out, he knows JC can feel my presence. True enough, he came to.

Laura needs to get convicted because of what she's done to him. He seems to be ok now. I was worried about him driving but I do know he wouldn't put me at risk, that's my assurance that he's fine.

He started to stir and pulled me to him, "It's way too early baby, go back to sleep." He whispered in my ear then buried his face in my neck. "You're intoxicating love. I love you."

I just had to smile. "I love you too." I felt his breathing even out and I knew he was asleep again. I really never imagined his mom would come around. When JC was out, I asked dad if he knew what changed. He said mom told him it started a few weeks after JC woke up from his coma. Whenever he was asleep he would call my name, but he doesn't remember me when he's awake.

She went to the Philippines for the first time in twenty years to see who I was. Dad said she saw me being brought to the hospital. That's how she found out we were having twins and how far along I was, she knew it was JC's. She saw how we lived here and she saw me with their family, she also saw how I was when I was alone.

She told dad she thought I'd move on eventually, but I never did. She was flying in and out of the Philippines just as I was flying in and out of New York. When she saw how I could affect JC, she said she knew she had to cut ties permanently.

But she really couldn't shake off the feeling. She wondered why I didn't just move on, she said it would've been easier that way. And she knew they family was trying to get me and Ken together so they'd see me happy again. It didn't work out that way.

But she also got to know the twins, thanks to Ken who was kind enough to accommodate an old woman as she put it. She said she couldn't help but feel for me, in the end, she was just afraid she'll lose JC.

The last time I flew to New York, she said it was the turning point, she was about to admit to JC what she did to me and everything she kept from him.

She said she wanted to make sure Laura wasn't really pregnant and let JC know about it. Then she left for LA to settle some unfinished business but she said it was too late, JC already left before she could talk to him.

She told dad she thought I was going to fight for JC, when I found out that he was alive, but I never did. She said I just gave in. She wanted to know why and dad told me he told her it was because of the twins. Dad knew I'd do anything for my little angels. He told her I would've given up JC because the twins needed their mother.

That's what made her look deep down, that's what she told dad. How I could sacrifice my own happiness for the twins was what made her admire me. She said she saw me with the twins, and she's also seen me alone. That made her realize that I wasn't happy, but that I would do anything for my children.

But why didn't I fight for JC. In truth, it wasn't just about the twins. He hated me, and call me stupid but in my heart, I wanted to believe that he still loved me, that I love you were the last words he ever told me. I wouldn't have been able to move on if he told me goodbye.

And that's the truth I've kept inside. When he came back, I really thought it was because he found out about the twins. He would've done right by them. Even if he told me he didn't know about them, it took a while before I believed him. That's why it took so long before I could say I'm really ok.