Author's Note

Leeward - the side sheltered from the wind // the leeward shore is particularly dangerous to sailors as they can be blown towards the land and shipwrecked

Hi there!

Thank you for checking out Leeward. This is just a sample of the finished book. The entire book has now been published through the amazing folks at Canelo, a UK-based print and ebook press who specialise in historical adventure fiction.

For anyone interested, the order link is in my bio – it is available as both an ebook and a hardback!

Previously, the entire story was here to read. I have met some amazing people through Leeward and other stories on Wattpad, and I want to thank you all for your amazing support and enthusiasm. You've really helped me with my writing and made me so excited to share it.

I wanted to write this story because I adore the Age of Sail genre, and history in general. I have read quite a few novels set in this Revolutionary/Napoleonic period, and I love, love, love them. I wanted to have a go myself but bring to the fore some diverse characters who are sometimes overlooked by the historical fiction genre. One of the main subplots of Leeward is an m/m storyline. This is a theme which has been sadly neglected by a lot of historical fiction I've read, and I was pining for some more representation in a genre I love.

However, being as I'm not much of a romance fan myself, Leeward is primarily a historical adventure story. I wanted to write characters who just happened to be queer, rather than it be the defining trait of their character. The main plot takes us on a hunt across the seas of the Caribbean, searching for a dangerous mutinous ship. Along the way, we have battles and intrigue and perilous pasts catching up with our characters! I've had such fun writing it, and I hope you will enjoy reading it, and I hope everyone can find something relatable and accessible in Leeward!