Spring's Creation

It was early spring in Lushcord, and in a small village near a lake, a young inventor worked hard. The Doons were getting closer and closer to Nevermore every passing day and something needed to be done. But what could stop the horde? The citizens of Nevermore were farmers, not warriors. They had never lifted a spear or threw rocks from a slingshot once in their lives. The situation was desperate, and no one knew what to do.
   No one except Arin. The ruby-pelted dog had always been obsessed with machines. But his dreams to be a scientist contributing to Project S.A.M. had been crushed when he lost sight in one of his eyes. A scientist had to have top physical skills to get onto the team, and one who had to wear glasses was a hazard to himself and the others around him. But Arin wouldn't let that stop him. He was determined to create a robot to stop the Doons from hurting Nevermore Town.    But how to make this work...?

   "Any ideas, Tinai?" He sighed.
   The little purple bird chirped merrily at him as she snacked on sunflower seeds. Arin had befriended Tinai on his way to Nevermore and she had been his pet and best friend ever since. She gave him motivation. Well, he sure needed that motivation now.
   Arin looked back at the parts before him. Whatever he created had to be big. Big enough to charge down the Doons. So, he'd need more room. Arin stood up and began to move stuff out of his lab. As he did, he uncovered an album.
   Setting down his boxes, he reached for the album and opened it curiously. Inside he found pictures of Old Earth creatures.
   "Wow..." he sighed, touching a picture of a bear. "Did creatures really use to look like this...?" He turned the page and landed on a picture of a family of deer. And inspiration stuck.
   "Tinai, I've got it!" He yipped, throwing the album onto his desk and gathering the parts. "I'm going to make a mech. One that can take down those Doons and save us all! And it'll be modeled after the Old Earth creatures!" He smiled and began his work.

~~~

   He worked day and night on his creation for month and then finally...

   Arin wiped the sweat off his face.
   "This is it Tinai. I'm confidant about this try!" He said and turned the mech on. He stood back and watched it boot up.
  The lights on the mech's legs lit up and it's eyes opened, vibrant green. The mech shook it's head and looked around the room.
   Arin smiled and dried a tear of happiness out of his eye. He took the mech by the leg and brought it to the window. 
   "Welcome to Nevermore. This is your home now, and I built you to keep it safe. You're the one who will save it, Spring" he looked up at his creation.
   The mech looked idly out the window, and then slowly nodded. Tinai chirped in delight and perched on it's antlers. Arin tensed, waiting for the mech's reaction. But nothing came. The mech simply looked up at the little bird, watching it. Arin smiled.
   "Come with me. I can't wait for you to see the town in person." He said, and led the mech outside.

   As they walked through the town, showing Spring off to the villagers, Arin had this feeling... like the world was about to change with this new creation of his.