2

I dreaded going to the reaping. Kids a certain age to 18 years old or so had to go. Don't get me started on the Hunger
Games.

I put on the dress, my dirty body slipping into the dress. I had black boots on, but I didn't care. Johnson hugged me. "Don't get picked. Try your best to fit in." He said, and I was lead into the stage by the other adult helpers. The wise drew slips with our names on them and that's how they decide who will go to the Hunger Games. One boy and one girl. As usual, the pick one girl then a boy. Then I start to sigh. This is boring. My dress itches and I straitened the part of the dress on my torso. They picked the girl's name and my heart stopped when I heard what they said. "Rose Johnson" they read.

I stared at them in disbelief. "Anyone to take her place?" They asked. Lisa stepped forward. "I will." She said bravely. "No... Lisa..." I stammered. "No. I have to. I can't lose you." Lisa said, tears streaming down her face. "I can't lose you, either. Who do you think will survive longer?" I said.

"Why concentrate on how long we stay alive. Just stay alive period!"

"Just don't! They picked me and I'm going! Take care of Johnson and Ricky for me!" I screamed, my face red and puffy from tears. That did the trick. Lisa stepped back, her face red and puffy as well. I sighed as they picked the boy. "Payton Smith" they read, and I saw as he stepped forward, his face red. He was buff enough. He was good-looking. He had everything. The thing is, he is the mayor's son. The mayor had tears running down his mustached face.

Payton looked a little sad his father had no faith in him. My father was going to wait anxiously until it was over. I cried. I just have delicate feelings. And now I was having a meltdown. I knew they were filming, but I kept crying. I kept crying because participating in the Hunger Games is like having your death sentence there, and not able to change.