I Should've Seen It

Kageyama stared blankly at the floor, a large red handprint on his face. As he tried to focus his vision and regain his senses, he could hear Iwaizumi yelling at Oikawa. He was a good person, he was kind to everyone, he was determined and driven, so why was his respect repaid like this? He just wanted to learn from his idol.

As he looked up at an angry Oikawa and a worried Iwaizumi, he felt something growing in his chest; a realization. No matter how kind, how determined, or talented he was, he would always be thrown down. He took Iwazumi's hand as it was outstretched in front of him, helping him to his feet.

"You ok, Tobio? I'm so sorry about him, does it hurt bad?" Iwaizumi asked with a concerned look. Kageyama placed a hand on his cheek to cover the mark.

"I... I'm fine Iwaizumi~senpai. I'm sorry if I upset you, Oikawa~senpai," Kageyama said with an apologetic smile. Iwaizumi placed a hand on Oikawa's shoulder before leaving to help Kageyama clean up. Oikawa was shaking with anger as he grabbed his stuff and left.
.
.
*two years later*
.
.
Slam.

Kageyama's back made contact with the lockers as Kindaichi held him by the collar of his shirt. Kunimi was leaning against the lockers opposite of them, watching.

"You worthless tyrant! You have no right to order us around like slaves! Know your place, king!" Kindaichi yelled. Kageyama was shaking with both anger and fear as he gripped Kindaichi's wrist. He knew that Iwaizumi wasn't there to help him anymore, he was alone again.

Kindaichi threw him down with a loud crash, knocking over the water bottles on the bench. Kageyama gasped to replace the breath he lost, trying to regain his bearings as the two left without another word.

The setter never left the floor as he felt warmth on the back of his head.

"Shit..." he mumbled as he held the wound. He staggered to his feet and stumbled to the door of the locker room, but he never made it out. He slumped down against the door, tears streaming down his face as he clenched his teeth. Why should he be kind to them? Why the hell should he care? They don't deserve his sympathy. None of them do. He choked on a sob as he felt his vision fading out until everything was black.

It wasn't until morning practice the next day that he was found, with a scream from a second year alerting the team, everyone came running upon the sight of the huge puddle of blood that had pooled overnight under the door. As the coach ran over and unlocked the door, their hearts stopped upon seeing Kageyama lying on his side in a deep pool of his own blood. Minutes later sirens could be heard from outside as Kindaichi and Kunimi stared at their setter's unmoving body, realizing only now what they had done.

Iwaizumi was notified as his legal guardian, having to come back to the middle school office where he saw Kindaichi and Kunimi sitting in chairs and facing the floor, all while a police officer stood in the corner. All Iwaizumi knew was that Kageyama was in the hospital but he had no idea why; now he did.

"Ah, Mr. Iwaizumi Hajime I presume? Thank you for coming on such short notice," the principal said. Iwaizumi bowed and stood in between the two boys.

    "I have to get back to practice soon else captain will be pissed, can we please make this fast, sir?" Iwaizumi responded with his arms folded across his chest. The principal nodded and straightened the papers in his hand.

"Of course, Mr. Iwaizumi," he began, "I'm terribly sorry about these events, but your brother I'm assuming, Kageyama Tobio, was sent to the hospital early this morning on account of massive blood loss due to blunt force trauma. These two have turned themselves in as the cause for Kageyama's injuries."