The Halls of Hogwarts

Classes had begun at Hogwarts, and Arathyn had yet to see Witchr in the halls or at breakfast. She would have asked other students, but they still avoided her like the plague all except Ginny. Ginny remained by her side through the whole awkward first day of term and despite the American girl's thick shield of indifference it was obvious she was anxious. Ginny and Arathyn's first class was Charms with the tiny Professor Flitwick, and to everyone's surprise, including Professor Flitwick, Arathyn excelled at casting Charms. As the two girls packed up their things Ginny heard two Hufflepuffs whisper amongst themselves, "She does come from a Dark family they probably taught her loads of spells."

Ginny looked to her friend and saw a visible cloud of gloom surrounding the girl, as if sensing Ginny's concern, Arathyn turned to her.

"Doesn't matter, I'm used to it." Arathyn replied with low tone and an annoyed expression in her eyes.

The next class they had was Potions with Professor Snape, Ginny immediately understood why her brothers called him a "slimy git". He looked as if he hadn't washed his hair in ages, the black strands were so greasy that they gleamed in the low candle light of the dungeons. His large hooked nose and beady eyes glared down at each first year with distaste, the exception being his precious Slytherins. Everything about him was dark and cold, just like the dungeons he had the nerve to call a classroom. His beady eyes remained frigid towards everyone until Ginny flipped her red locks over her shoulder in annoyance and there was a small flash of soft emotion within the professor's stern gaze, but she immediately shook that from her mind. The youngest Weasley turned to see a very eager Ipswich leaning on the edge of her seat and trying desperately to take in everything being said by the menacing Snape.

Arathyn stared curiously at her Potion's professor, absorbing every word that came from his mouth. What little Grandfather had told her about Potions during her studies had always interested her, the whole idea of wand-less magic in a pro-wand society was fascinating! As the dark haired wizard continued to talk down to the other students more, Arathyn muttered a spell beneath her breath, "Mobiliar" and stared at her immobile quill. As if an invisible hand had suddenly gripped the thin object, the quill stood at attention and begun to write down everything the professor said on a roll of parchment. Unlike it's wand counterpart, "Mobiliarbus", this was a charm that allowed the caster to control an object without the direct use of their wand, but rather their mind. As the quill scurried along the paper, occasionally stopping to coat its' tip with jet black ink, Arathyn begun to notice some curious gazes around her and, judging by Snape's suspicious stare, so was the professor. Arathyn quickly snatched up the quill when the teacher turned to investigate what had captured his student's attention.

"Tomorrow I expect all of you to have read through the first five chapters of Magical Drafts and Potions, and have a roll of parchment explaining basic ingredients, where to find them, and their purposes. I will not baby step you through this class, if you fail to perform admirably it will either lose you house points or earn you detention. There will be no second chances, do I make myself clear?" With that final note the students cleaned up their things, making their way to their next class.

Herbology was taught by Professor Sprout, a dumpy old witch who was too easily impressed by simple things. The class wasn't as fascinating as Potions according to Arathyn. Afterwards, as the two girls gave their two cents about the class Arathyn turned to Ginny.

"My mom loves studying magical plants, she even enchanted a tree for my bed frame on my fifth birthday. I don't know how she likes Herbology it's so boring."

"It's not that horrid, Potions was dreadful."

"I didn't think it was so bad." Arathyn protested.

"That was right awful! I've seen livelier ghosts!" Ginny had begun to get more and more excited.

"Oi' Ginny!" The redhead's ears flushed pink as she turned around to see who had called out her name.