3. A Determined Man

Seb could feel the pain surging through his body. But no pain, no gain. Antti was working him harder than ever before. Seb had let himself go a bit over the last season truth be told. Now he wanted to be in the shape of his life for when he started with Aston Martin. He had already shed the pounds he'd put on over Christmas, eating sweets and lots of cake with his girls.

Tomorrow he was heading to the UK to visit the factory at Silverstone for the first time. He was excited but nervous. He didn't know anyone apart from Otmar and Lawrence. He kind of knew Lance but not too well. They had clashed a couple of times on the track but they'd never socialised together.

He felt a bit more excited when he thought of finally meeting the girl in pink, although now he supposed he'd have think of her as the girl in green. Or actually, he'd be able to think of her by her actual name. He'd never even been curious before, she'd just been a fantasy that was never going to happen. Now, he wondered what her name was. He was free, single and he was looking to make up for lost time. She'd be his first choice but there were plenty of other beautiful ladies in the paddock. Now that everybody was well on their way to being vaccinated opportunities would arise for him to make some of their acquaintances. He'd always been a one woman man but now, why commit to one? It only ever ended in heartbreak. No, Seb wasn't looking for a Miss Right. Just a Miss Right Now. It was time to start enjoying life again.

                        ***

Seb pulled up in the Aston Martin car park. The new signs were gleaming. He got out of the car and shook hands with Joe Bloxham, his new race engineer, who was waiting for him with Otmar Szafnauer.

"Pleased to have you on board Sebastian. Come on in. I will introduce you to the ones we have in. Not everyone is here due to Covid but hopefully the restrictions will be lifted soon. And then you can meet the whole team."

Seb followed the men into the building. It was so much smaller than what he was used to but he liked it. It would have more of a family vibe to it. He glanced around as he was introduced to members of his team. He couldn't see her but with masks on it was hard to tell.  He realised he didn't even know if she was on his crew or Lance's. Perhaps whatever job she did wasn't with any particular driver. She was probably in marketing or something like that. He knew he was being sexist but it was still quite unusual to see women working on the cars. There were a few but not many. 

He was introduced to his strategist, Connor Blake. He didn't know what it was but he had a bad feeling about him. He would keep an open mind but got some seriously bad vibes and his intuition had proved right so many times, like with Mattia Binotto.  After meeting the half a dozen crew members that were there he went to change into his race suit so he could be fitted for his seat. Once that was out of the way he would grab some lunch and have a chat with some of the guys. Maybe he'd be able to find out some information about that girl.

                        ***

In the end, he'd not asked about her. He was only just getting to know the team and he didn't want rumours spreading around that he was after one of the team. Especially seeing as though it wasn't common knowledge yet that his marriage was over. He still wore his ring. Not out of any sentimental reason, but to stop any awkward questions about his relationship.

So that was his first day done. They all seemed like a good bunch. He'd met some of the mechanics and a couple of the PR team. He'd be back a few more times between now and the launch. Maybe he would see her next time.

                        ***

Emily Ryan jumped out of her car and literally sprinted across the car park and into the factory. She shouted hello to Anne on reception as she headed down the corridor and into the staff canteen.

She saw Joel sitting at a table, munching on an apple. She slid into the seat opposite him.

"Please, don't tell me I missed him!"

"OK, I won't tell you that," he said, taking another bite.

"I missed him didn't I?" He nodded, chewing away and looking bored with the conversation.

" Trust you to have a flooded kitchen on the day Sebastian Vettel visits the factory for the first time. "

"It could only happen to me.  I've been looking forward to this for so long! So, what's he like?"

"Yeah, he seems a nice guy.  Going to miss working with Checo though."

"We will all miss Checo, but this is such an opportunity.  The chance to work with a 4 time World champion Joel."

"I know it is, but I think you're getting a little over excited sweetheart. Just because you fancy him."

"I certainly do not!" Emily said, indignantly.  "From a professional point of view this is going to be such a learning opportunity."

"If Connor lets you anywhere near him. He was busy sucking up earlier."

"Prick."

" He was probably bragging about how his strategy got Checo the win in Sakhir, when we all know it was you that brought Checo from the back. He makes me sick. He's supposed to be head strategist and he leaves it to you most of the time." 

Emily shrugged. She'd learnt a long time ago that Connor was an arsehole. He hated Emily because she'd turned him down during her first season back in 2019.

"Seb will be back in again soon anyway. I'm sure you'll soon get your chance to meet him. "  Emily hoped so. She had always been a fan of Seb's.  She was really looking forward to working with him. And despite what Joel thought she did not fancy Seb.

Anyway she didn't date, and certainly didn't do one night stands. If that's what she wanted she had had the chance with two drivers in her first year. Both Charles Leclerc and Daniel Ricciardo had propositioned her at her very first preseason test. She'd sent them packing. She'd been burnt once before, she wasn't risking her heart again. Anyway, Seb was a married man, so even if she did fancy him, he was untouchable.  But she didn't, so no point even thinking about it.

                        ***

Seb visited the factory three more times before the launch but he never saw the girl again. Perhaps she had left. Maybe he should ask Joel. He'd recognised one of his mechanics as the blonde man he'd always seen with her. He didn't feel he knew him well enough to ask him questions like that yet though. He guessed he'd find out sooner or later. Maybe at the launch?

                        ***

Emily was gutted she couldn't make the launch. Her housemate Holly had started showing symptoms for Covid-19 and, even though she'd had the vaccine, Emily had to self isolate.

She watched it live on television. She decided that perhaps she had changed her mind about fancying Sebastian. Green was definitely his colour. And he looked so much younger and happier than he had at Ferrari last year. His grin was so cheeky and infectious.   But yeah, still married.

She would finally get to meet him in Bahrain where they were heading for preseason testing soon. She hoped working with him was going to be as good, on a professional level, as she'd hoped. Personally, he would just have to remain her secret crush.

                        ***

Seb took his seat on the plane for Bahrain. He was looking forward to finally meeting the rest of the team. Perhaps the question on whether the girl still worked for the team would finally be answered. And if she was there he promised himself he would do everything he could to have her in his bed before the end of the test.