- Chapter 30 -

June 19, 1996

I wake up to a horrible pain coursing through me, one that makes you feel like you are actually dying and your whole body hurts. I try to gather some information about my surroundings since I have absolutely no idea where the heck I am, or what I'm doing here, or why I'm here. After opening my eyes, which had to adjust to the light, I immediately see the welcome familiarity of Severus' sleeping chambers. I find myself in Severus' bed, although the other side looks once again unslept in. Then it hits me what has happened, my dad is gone. He really is gone, and the last thing he did was protect me. He sacrificed his life for mine. I can feel tears pricking behind my eyes and I quickly try to blink them away. I now also remember Bellatrix and her stupid spells, which led me to blackout. Somebody must have brought me to Severus since he couldn't just bring me here himself since he was with the Death-eaters. Now I think of it, he probably hasn't slept, so the bed makes sense.

I only now see Severus sitting at the little table in the kitchen. He is looking at me, saying nothing, his eyes seem far away. I wonder what he is thinking. I decide to go find out and start to climb out of bed although the first move I make causes another burst of pain which makes me fall back onto the bed and not being able to move. Come on, Eva. You need to do this, I think encouragingly to myself. I close my eyes for a brief second, preparing for the pain before I make myself stand up and walk over to him. Grinding my teeth together to prevent myself from yelling it out from the pain. After a few awkward strides, I finally arrive before Severus, who has stood up to help me make the last few feet. He doesn't seem inclined to take a seat, so I also don't although it's costing me every bit of effort I have not to let myself fall on the chair. I'm holding Severus by his arms, to make sure I don't fall. I think he knows, and he doesn't seem to bothered by the sudden interaction.

We say nothing for a while, and everything comes rushing back to me. The pain, the look on Severus' face when Bellatrix tortured me, the scream Harry let out when Sirius died. But worst of all, the fact that my dad died laughing, he didn't know what was happening. He didn't know that he was going to sacrifice himself for me. Tears now start streaming down my face, and I quickly pull Severus in for a hug. Partly because I need it and partly because I don't want him to see me cry, not like this. And so we stand while saying nothing for what feels like forever and I don't want to let go. 

After a while he pulls back, he looks very uncomfortable. My eyes must look puffy now I think of it, he probably knows that I've cried but if he did he doesn't show it, which I'm grateful for.

He clears his throat, and the words come out as if he has great difficulty speaking them. "I'm sorry.... about your dad," I give him a small smile.

''Thanks," I say in response. I'm grateful. I know about Severus' and Sirius' complicated relationship, and I also know this must haven't been easy for Severus since he has trouble even saying his name.

An awkward silence follows, which I quickly end. "If I ever get my hands on Bellatrix, I'm going to kill her I swear. I also should probably go to 12 Grimmauld Place and set some things in order, who knows to whom my dad has left it to but still I feel responsible," I ramble.

"Eva.." Severus suddenly cuts me off. I look at him, surprised. His voice sounds soft, sad almost.

"What is it?" I ask, suspicion growing in my stomach. A feeling I don't particularly like.

"You have to go, Dumbledore has arranged everything and will take you to the chosen location in a couple of hours," He says, his tone dead serious.

Now I really look at him, trying to see if he is in any way joking or if I have misunderstood. He can't possibly mean I have to go in hiding, does he?

"What are you talking about?" I ask, eyes wide from shock.

"Voldemort knows Eva, about you and me. He is planning to make you join him, use you to get to me,"

I am absolutely flabbergasted. Why in Merlin's name would he want me, for what? Like hell I'm joining him, I'd rather die.

"No I'm not going, he can't make me," I say.

"Yes he can," Severus exaggerates, "He will use me to make you join, and when he has you he will use you to get to me and I can't let that happen. I'm not going to let them hurt you," A silence fills the room. "I can't risk my position like that," He then says. In other words, you are not worth giving up this little two-sided spy thing. He won't disappoint Dumbledore, not when he can avoid it. Hurt fills my body, he is doing this for himself and Dumbledore, not because my safety is his number one priority.

"I'm sorry Eva, it has to be this way. It's for the better," he says. I can feel myself tearing up. I don't want to lose him and I know what this means. It's over, we are over.

"I have to go, Dumbledore will be here shortly to take you to your new accommodation. Goodbye Eva," He says, his voice as cold as ever. I can't tell what he is feeling, and I hate it. I watch him walk to the door, tears rolling down my face.

"Severus..." I ask and he stops in the doorway, slowly turning his head so he can see me. "When will I see you again?" I ask, my voice sounding low and broken.

"Someday"

And with those words, he leaves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So guys this was it. I apologize for not uploading this chapter sooner, I had exams and was pretty busy but here we are. If you read until this I really want to thank you, it means a lot:) I really enjoyed writing this and I'm glad I could share it with people who might enjoy it like me. If you have any feedback I'd be happy to hear it, I really want to improve in writing because well... of course it's not great but I'm satisfied. I did leave the ending open, just to have the ption if I ever want to continue this story but we'll see. (I also apologize for the sort of rushed ending but I really couldn't come up with anything else)

Thanks for sticking with me and until next time;)

Love, Irs