Second chance mate

Michelle:
The following day I wake very early. I sigh as I turn my head, staring at the empty pillow next to me. The memory of him makes me jump out of bed. Trying not to think of him, I mind link, Timothy. Meet me in the garden for breakfast. He sends me a short reply, "yes."

Take a seat, Timothy. Then, not feeling the need to beat around the bush, I jump right in. "Tell me what's on your mind." "I don't know Michelle, but I just feel the need to take care of her." I let his words wander through my mind. "What do you mean?" I turn my gaze towards him as I inspect his face more closely as I see him collecting his thoughts.

"What are you thinking? Just say it. Whatever it is, saying it to me doesn't make it final. But it could offer some clarity when you say it out loud. And I can help you with whatever is going on with you". I look towards the yard as I hold my breath. "A lot has happened the past week." We've lost our Alpha, my mate, and your best friend. We have a human as a guest. Well, at least we think she is human". Timothy reaches for the sandwiches. Still, he just pokes a finger in one of them. I give him a side-eye. "I just feel a connection," he finally says.

My eyes widen in some kind of shock. "You mean like a mate connection? You know that if there is a possibility she is your second chance, mate, I can honestly only say that you have the worst timing in the world. I mean, you would have to take it very slowly. She just lost her fiancé. The man she just had a baby with 6 months ago and they planned to marry and be together for the rest of their lives. And I don't think she fully comprehends the reality. The reality of 'it's not happening' because he's dead. I mean, he's not even buried yet." My words come out like an attack, not leaving any room for his responses.

"Why do you think she might be your second chance, mate. You didn't react to her immediately. I mean, I had to stop you to from assaulting her, and". I stop talking as I realize I was trying to be a good friend but went on a total rant on this second chance mate possibility. I want to be mad, but when I look at him, his face is pained. I close my mouth, forcing myself to be silent before I make him and myself panic even more. "I know, but when I touched her, it was just, I don't know, some kind of electrifying. Even now, I just want to go to her, breath her in". "She has a baby, Timothy." "I know Luna. I know that, but I feel myself being drawn to her, I want to take care of her, of them both".

I scratch my scalp as I let all of this sink in. Honestly, this week is just too much, and it's not even Friday, I think to myself. "Be kind to her but don't push her, Timothy. This is not the time. You should try and figure out what you are feeling or thinking. We will talk more after I return from the king's banquette. I know it's hard but for now, control yourself". "Yes, Luna, I'll try." My gaze hardens as I stand up to leave, I clear my throat as I give him a side-eye. His back stiffening as he hastens to correct himself, "Alpha Luna," "Don't try, do! This is not about you, not now".

"When we get back, we should have her fiancé's funeral. You can help her organize that. It gives you the opportunity to 'test the waters' so to say", I say this while using my hands as air quotes. "When and I mean when and only when she says I like you we can go forward with this second chance mate thing." Instant regret hits me as my words slip my mouth. It wouldn't be fair if she was his second chance mate to keep them apart. No wolf in their right mind would be able to withstand such a bond. But this situation is delicate. I give him an understanding look as I continue. "If there's even an inclining of reciprocation on her part to your feelings, we'll go from there, but slowly. We want to do this right".