Dobbers & domino effects

At Tuesday break time during the temperamental month of May, the Vibe House perched in a tight huddle around their rotting wooden table, which was speckled and ingrained with an array of different food crumbs. One couldn't be sure when they were from, as every day what was once a minuscule and somewhat harmless pile grew larger, larger, larger, until eventually people were so accustomed to its presence that they didn't even bother moving it. Unfortunately, that was the way of life at Wales High School, and the students weren't planning on changing it any time soon.

Torrential rain assaulted the fragile roof of the year eleven common room. Its pounding hands were so filled with dominance that the walls threatened to jeopardise the safety of the people inside by caving completely. The onyx, matte floors were smeared with shards of gleaming droplets, whose threat wasn't obvious until someone pelted through the door. Quite a few students scurried in like vermin from the sewers in attempt to protect their flawless curls or Stone Island jackets, but to no avail. In fact, some even fell victim to the water and slipped over due to the useless grip of their £70 school shoes, - if one could even call them shoes - and the vibe house didn't hesitate to smirk at their war with embarrassment.

Wind lifted Miles's brown mane of hair with the opposite of gentleness, exposing the freshly-plucked eyebrows that he was so proud of. A smirk was tucked over his face, despite the harsh weather that could drown it in an instant, and he provoked several laughs from the group with his audacious jokes.
"Anyone got any goss?" He inquired curiously when the conversation began to die down. Ellie and Lucy merely shook their heads, as they both knew that the portion of drama in Wales High School was particularly small as of late. Ben and Milo grunted in response.

"Do you have any quality gossip, Miles?" Ben replied after everyone's sullen head shakes.

Miles turned away, his fingers curving upwards to curl around his neck. A scarlet blush invaded his face, and it gave it all away. Milo and Ben exchanged a glance with raised eyebrows before firing him with questions. They preyed on potential gossip, almost as much as Miles himself.

"Oooo, what is it Miles? What's made your cheeks so red?" Lucy asked, smirking.
"Maybe he's got a secret side chick," Ben stated matter of factly.
"Wayyy, gowan Miles," words of encouragement were all Milo had to offer, although his wide eyes portrayed the slightest hint of jealousy. Was it jealousy? Or was it something else?

Ever since their group escapade to Greenlands park, Milo had grown increasingly quiet, enclosing himself in a confining shell of his own thoughts. His friends had tried to coax him out with jokes and laughter, but it had been a gradual process, and the brown-haired boy had made a continuous habit of darting his head around gingerly every two seconds. It was as though he was constantly afraid of being followed - or worse, harmed - by someone. The rest of the group also had the suspicion that his jittering shivers weren't just a product of the rain.

"Erm, it's nothing." Miles grunted, although his eyes angled to the ceiling in a very suspicious manner. Ellie raised an eyebrow at him before exchanging glances with the entire group, who were seemingly just as perplexed as she was at Miles's peculiar behaviour. He wasn't one to be secretive; usually he would have blurted whatever it was out by now.
As if by a stroke of luck, the deafening clamour of the school bell rang across the room, rescuing Miles from the ambush of questions awaiting him. Breathing rapidly, he bid goodbye to his friends and rushed out of the common room without waiting for Ellie and Milo. He felt their pressuring gazes burn into his back as he trudged through the beaten concrete paths that led to the millennium block, weaving around ever-growing puddles on his way. A sodden piece of paper lay cocooned beneath his fist, frosted with scrawls of letters that bled across its white expanse.

Miles's grip on the paper never wavered, even as he careened between blurs of giggling year seven girls. The fingers of his other hand fumbled mindlessly by his side, and his brow was furrowed deeply into a mould of nerves when he pondered what was about to happen. He pictured her luscious locks tinged a beautiful auburn in the sunlight, her flawless features that curved so elegantly with joy as she lectured about the most mundane things. He continued until he reached a compact, polished door, freshly installed after the school's renovations a few summers before. Tentatively, he reached out his trembling hand and gave a gentle knock, which stirred a sea of rustling from inside the room. Before he had time to gather his fractured nerves, she opened the door. Immediately a smile invaded her face, the one he loved and admired so dearly.