Chapter 2

"What?" Hailey scoffed, staring at the ebony-haired girl in front of her with a mixture of disbelief and confusion, "What are you talking about?"

"That locket," Sadie made a small hand movement, gesturing towards the heart-shaped necklace on Hailey's neck, "You wished for a perfect life. That locket granted your wish. It transported you into a universe where you have a perfect life."

"No," Hailey muttered, staggered backward a bit, backing away from Sadie, "That's not possible."

"It is," The latter quickly corrected, "As much as you wanna deny it, that's the truth."

Hailey blinked at her. All the confusion she held before only grew stronger. She had never been one to believe in parallel universes. The only logical explanation was that she was dreaming, this was all part of a long, scarily accurate dream. So, she sputtered out the first words that came to mind, "And why should I believe you?"

Sadie laughed, a quick, witty laugh. She stepped closer to the teal-haired girl, her arms resting behind her back as her fiery magenta gaze glared daggers into the girl in front of her. "You're dating your worst enemy. Two bullies you absolutely despise are your best friends. Your two childhood friends utterly detest you because you bully them. Your deceased mother is alive. You live in a huge mansion." Sadie's face inched closer to Hailey's until their noses were inches apart. Her cold, low tone whispered, "You can't believe anything. You just have to trust me."

Hailey faltered for a moment, "Even if I did believe you..." She paused for a moment, slightly unsure what to say, trying to find a decent point to make, "This life isn't perfect, you said yourself Luke and Zander hate me in this life."

Sadie let a small smirk drift onto her face, as if she were waiting for that exact question to be asked, "Hailey, let me ask you this." She briefly glanced at the ground, plum eyes watching as she shuffled her feet, "In your eyes, who has a perfect life?" Her eyes narrowed, lining with mischief, a perfect mood to match the inciting, chaotic grin on her face, "Pick anyone."

"Um," The teal-haired girl flickering her eyes around, really anywhere aside from Sadie, "Drew, Zoey, those people, I suppose... I wouldn't say they have perfect lives, better than mine though..." She finally murmured, still not daring to look at the teenager in front of her.

"Those two both bully you," Sadie proclaimed, much more of a statement than a question, "Yet, out of all the people you could've chosen, you chose them. If people who bully others don't have perfect lives in your eyes, why would you choose them?" Sadie began walking forward, causing Hailey to go backward.

"W-Well," The latter began, fumbling to find the right response, "I mean, their lives are perfect for them, that's not the kind of life I want."

"Oh," The onyx-haired girl softly muttered, thinning her eyes. There was a certain glimpse of pity in them, one that Hailey could barely distinguish, "Well, that's unfortunate. Because that's the life you got." Sadie simply shrugged, not seeming to care too much about Hailey's input on the situation, "Now, we can continue wasting time, or I can tell you how to get out."

Hailey stared back at her, a certain naivety puzzling over her expression. She took a moment to think. "My mother is alive." She had lacked the presence of her mother for 13 years. Hailey wasn't ready to give that up, at least not yet. So, without thinking, she blurted out, "What if I don't wanna go home?"

Sadie let out a sound, a mixture of a scoff and a laugh. "Fine then," There was a long, uncomfortable pause, "Good luck."

"Hailey! Is that you?!" The latter spun around at the sound of her name. There, she saw one of the teachers approaching her, "If I catch you ditching class again, it'll be a phone call home!" The teacher yelled, pushing on the middle of her glasses.