prologue

"They what?"

"Calm down, Izzy," Isabelle's mother tells her and her eyes widen.

"Calm down? Mom, we're barely hanging on already, what are we supposed to do now that you and dad are out of a job? How could they just let you two go?" she asks, and her dad shakes his head.

"They didn't just let us go, Isabelle," her dad says, and her younger brother tilts his head in confusion.

"What does that mean?" Daniel asks.

"They had to let the entire shop go. They couldn't afford to keep it open, and the kingdom is already struggling as is. They're only funding necessary businesses — the shop wasn't one of them."

"But... it's gotten that bad?" he asks, his eyebrows furrowing in worry.

"Of course it has. Just the other day Minhee and I watched as Mrs. Lim was told she had to close her flower shop. That meant the garden and all," Isabelle says, and her mother sighs.

"I'm sorry, Izzy, I know how much the garden meant to you."

"Forget me, what about Mrs. Lim? She put her life into those flowers, and they took it away just like that? And it's not just her! I mean, you two know how much the shop meant to all of us, so imagine what it was like for those that put their everything into it. It's not fair. Other kingdoms are thriving with their grand castles and their huge parties and here we are, sitting on the sidelines and watching as our kingdom falls apart," Isabelle says.

"I know sweetie but the King and Queen are trying. There's only so much that can be done," their dad says and Isabelle sighs.

"Daniel and I agreed to meet Jiyoon and Minhee so, we'll be back in a bit," she says and their mom nods.

"Alright. Remember to be back before curfew, alright?"

"We will. C'mon Daniel, Jiyoon's waiting outside," Isabelle says and Daniel nods, his mood reflecting that of his older sister's. The two of them step outside and Daniel glances over to her.

"Are you okay?" he asks and Isabelle shrugs.

"I guess. Like mom and dad said, not much can be done, right?" she says and Daniel frowns, looking down at his feet.

"Guys! What have you two been up... to? What's with the sad faces?" Jiyoon asks, her and Minhee walking over to Daniel and Isabelle.

"We just found out our parents lost their jobs. We were already struggling but now? I don't know what we're gonna do," Isabelle sighs and Jiyoon and Minhee glance at each other.

"Well... we could always... y'know."

"Jiyoon."

"I'm just saying, Daniel. Desperate times call for desperate measures," Jiyoon says and Isabelle gives them a look of confusion.

"What?"

"N-nothing, Izzy," Daniel says, crossing his arms and Jiyoon sighs.

"You know I have a point, Daniel."

"Fine," Daniel sighs. "You know how I got you that necklace last year that was kinda expensive?"

"Yeah? I don't see what that has to do with anything, though."

"I was able to afford it because Jiyoon and I sold a bracelet that belonged to Prince Jake. When we went to Sim Kingdom for that trip, the three of us snuck into a party. Prince Jake dropped a bracelet on his way out, and we were gonna give it back, I swear, but it was too late. So we sold it, and honestly I regret it, but he never seemed to care that the bracelet had gone missing so..." Daniel trails off and Isabelle's eyes widen.

"You stole from Prince Jake? Dani, what the hell? You're better than that!" she exclaims, and he frowns.

"I know, Izzy, I know. But you're my sister and I figured at least once you deserved to get something nice from me on your birthday to show how much I love and care for you, so I did it. I'm sorry," he says and Isabelle sighs, pulling him in for a hug.

"It's alright, Dani. I get it. I love you too, kid. You don't have to buy me things to show me that, okay?" she says and Daniel nods. "But... why'd you bring that up, Jiyoon?"

"Well, Prince Jake is throwing a masquerade ball tomorrow. Prince Jay will be there, and you know he's always carrying around overly expensive things and showing them off. We could... try getting something from him and selling it?" she says and Isabelle scoffs.

"Are you really suggesting we steal from Prince Jay? What is up with you guys?"

"Just this once, Izzy. Think about it — he won't realize its missing and you guys really need it," Jiyoon says. Glancing over at her mom and dad who were in the house, clearly stressed about the situation then at her younger brother, Isabelle sighs.

"Just this once. But that's it, okay? Never again," she says, the guilt already setting in and Jiyoon nods.

"Alright. We'll talk about the plan later tonight, alright? I have to go handle something now," Jiyoon says and Isabelle nods.

Jiyoon walks off and Minhee sighs.

"You're really doing this?" he asks and Isabelle shrugs, sitting against the house.

"I guess so. If I'm guilty already, and I haven't even done anything, I can't imagine how I'll feel tomorrow," she sighs.

"I still feel guilty for taking Jake's bracelet. I mean, I'd never done anything like that before," Daniel says and Isabelle narrows her eyes at him.

"Yeah, and you'll never do it again, right?"

Daniel raises his hands in defense, his eyes wide.

"Never again."

"Are you sure you can go through with this?" Minhee asks, sitting next to her and holding her hand.

"I... don't think I have a choice. I'd do anything for my family," she says and Minhee nods.

"Well, I'm here for you no matter what you decide, okay?"

Daniel clears his throat, pushing their hands apart before sitting between them.

"Me too."

Isabelle laughs, pulling Daniel in for another hug. She didn't know what she'd be getting herself into, but she was glad she had her brother and friends there for her. With that, she decided she would go through with Jiyoon's plan.

Little did she know, this decision was only the beginning.