Story time

Joanne P.O.V.

I woke up early, Jane and her mother were still asleep.
Danny was gone, again.
I climbed out of the below-deck and looked at the shore, the sun wasn't fully up yet. Everything seemed to be sleeping, there was no sound except for the wind who played with the sails. I glanced up and saw some of the crewmen sleeping in the crows nest with a bottle in their lap. Apparently mom had taken care of the captains wounds but she hadn't come back.
I hadn't really paid much attention to it but now it seemed more and more obvious that there was something going on between the two of them. The way he was always looking out for her, yesterday when we had to get of the beach I knew that she didn't want to leave him behind. When she dived into the sea to get to him, I knew that it wasn't just because they knew each other. I thought of the piece of map with the black line on it that lay between the other maps that Hook owned.
"I  used to live here." Mom had explained, she used to be a lost girl. But wasn't Hook considered the bad guy? Lost boys were not really the type to like Peter's enemies, yet my mom did.
Stop thinking about it, you're probably not even supposed to know about their story.

The first rays of sun peeked over the still sleeping forest, soon everyone would go back to their duties and we will think of a new plan to go get Bug. Someone coughed behind me, I whirled around to see the man with the red beanie. Well now I knew that his real name was Smee.
"It's beautiful, isn't it?" he asked when he came standing next to me.
"It is, there are no places like this back home," I admitted.
"They've changed since we saw them last," he then mumbled.
I looked at him, was he talking about-
"Your mothers, miss (Y/n) and miss Wendy," he finished my thoughts
"You knew my mom?" Maybe he would tell me something more about how her life was here before she came to London.
"Yes, she used to be Peters favorite. Every time they boycotted our traps or plans it was always the three of them scheming." Three, he must mean Henry.
"One day your mother sacrificed herself into one of our traps, Peter went back to their Tree and was told by (Y/n) to come at night when he heard her whistle signal," Smee continued.
I tried to imagine my mother young and sacrificing herself for her friend.
"She whistled that night, whistled 'till her lips hurt, Peter never showed up. So she stayed with us for three days with no sign of that boy. Eventually your mother was sort of forced to struck a deal with the captain. He had claimed that Peter had forgotten about her, she wouldn't believe it, so she said that if he found proof that Peter had indeed forgotten about her she would give him the location of the Tree. That's when your cousin's mother comes in the story. Peter had visited her multiple times because she was a Storyteller, most of the stories were about him. So he brought her and her two brothers here to the Island, you mother was still stuck here."
I thought of my aunt who was now like a real sister to my mom. It was hard to imagine them being anything else than friends, it was hard to picture them fighting over the same boy.

"What happened next?" I wanted to know. Smee looked at me a bit uncomfortable.
"After that your mother lost the bargain, the captain found proof that Peter had forgotten about her and she had to give the location of the Tree."
There was more but he didn't want to tell me, or maybe he didn't know the right words to explain it. The sun was now half above the forest and casting a golden light over the water around us, the Island slowly woke up too. Behind me I heard footsteps coming up the stairs that led to the under-decks.
"Hey!" Jane greeted us.
"Morning," I replied.
"What were you talking about?" she asked when she joined us at the railing.
"Nothing, he was just explaining what my mom did before she came to London," I explained.
"I'll leave you two to talk about it," Smee said with a small smile.

"So? Come on girl spill the tea!" Jane urged.
"Okay, okay, jeez calm down. My mom was a lost girl who struck a deal with pirates after they kind of kidnapped her and Peter is a jerk who think he can get away with shit," I sighed.
"Hold on what?" Jane asked. I looked at her and decided that I wouldn't tell her about the past life of our moms, I wanted to discuss my suspicions with her.
"Nothing, but listen to this. I think that there's more between my mom and the captain than just 'knowing each other'," I said.
"You mean..." Jane started, I nodded. I glanced over to the door to the captain's cabin, my mom was still in there.
"Well now it makes more sense why she was simping over Killian Jones," I mumbled but Jane heard it and her eyes went wide.
"OMG no way!"
I just nodded, trying to fight the smile that was tugging at my lips. Above us the men started waking too, belowdecks things came back to reality as well. I was waiting for the moment that mom and the captain would walk out of the cabin.
When the door finally opened mom walked out looking at a map, she looked as if nothing was wrong, Hook came out shortly after and limped over to his first mate.

"Morning mom," I called. She turned her head and walked towards us.
"Hello, how long have you been up?"
"I have witnessed the sunrise," I said. She got a dreamy gaze and went leaning against the railing, "They used to be my favorite moments on this Island, that and the sunsets."
I looked closer at her face and then her neck, but couldn't spot anything, not even a hickey.
HOW?! I would find out what's going on between them.
"So, do we have a new plan to go into the cave with?" Jane asked eventually.
"We were working on it this morning, but then I had to clean Hook's shoulder-wound."
Okay now that's a lie. They may have talked strategy but there's more to it.
I realised how fun it suddenly was to find out if my mom and the captain had a thing, I dared to glance in his direction and saw him staring back at us, when our eyes met he quickly looked away.
I had to find a moment to talk with mom alone.

That moment came a little later when she was talking to Wendy.
"Excuse me, do you think I could borrow my mom for a couple seconds?" I asked her, she smiled and nodded.
"What is it?" Mom asked a bit suspicious.
"Alright stop playing with me, I know that there's something between you and the Captain," I said.
Mom lifted her brows and looked around to check if anyone was near.
"I knew you would find out sooner or later, so I won't deny it."
"What-alright, Mr. Smee told me a bit of the story this morning, care to fill in the gaps?" I asked. She looked at me and smiled.
"What did he tell you?"
"That you were a close friend of Peter and that he didn't care about you, that you had to make a bargain with Hook and that you lost that bargain," I said.
"Those are the head lines, but yeah... that's pretty much how it went. Let's start at after I lost the bargain. First thing you have to know it that before that Hook and I had made a deal that no one would be allowed to touch me until Peter came himself or if I gave the location of the Tree to the pirates."
Okay...