We love doodles

Almost all human beings love to doodle while talking on the phone or listening to a lesson at school. It is liberating to develop these squiggles while you are thinking about something else. Some teach that scribbling "doodles" is a very good thing. Others say that the best thing would be to make "Mandalas", which are scribbles but within a circle. Then we would need the advice of a psychiatrist to discover what the mind is telling us we all love doodles in these special moments.

Doodling

It starts from the first stroke with movements of the entire arm (fingers, wrist, elbow, shoulder) representing evolution in the psychomotor aspect.

The scribbles are made without a predetermined intention and they evolve over time. But it is until 4 years of age, when the drawn figures begin to be recognizable.

The first strokes are the beginning of the expression, introducing the child not only to drawing but also to the progressive learning of oral and written language. We all love doodles.

Scribbling uncontrollably or messily:

In their first months, children find a more interesting pencil, crayon or marker to see, touch and even suck on as they grow older their first lines appear.

Characteristics of this stage

- Starts at approximately 18 months.

- Make weak, messy, straight, slightly curved strokes, without any specific direction, varying in length and direction.

- There is no manual eye coordination and he still does not have control of his movements.

- It does not have an intention to represent something in specific since it does not try to reproduce the surrounding visual environment, it is only interested in the pleasure of movement, leaving its mark on the paper that will always be as wide as possible, thus facilitating the progressive muscular control of the gesture .

- On many occasions it can be observed that the scribbles come off the sheet of paper and the child looks to the sides while executing the line.

- Color is unimportant, it plays a secondary role.

Research by authors such as Lowenfeld and Brittain claim:

"Some parents try to find in these scribbles something that can be recognized (...) While a child is in the messy doodle stage, drawing a picture of something real" is inconceivable (...) Since the child of this age does not have visual control over their scribbles, parents should consider this as an indication that the child is not yet ready to perform tasks that require precise motor control of their movements "(p.120-121).

At this stage, the child is interested in the pleasure of leaving his mark on any surface. The scribbles will evolve as the child acquires motor coordination.

Controlled Scribbling

Although there is not much difference with uncontrolled squiggles, at this stage there is an advance in the motor aspect, the child has greater eye-hand coordination so he dedicates himself to this activity with greater enthusiasm.

Characteristics of this stage

- Starts around two years of age

- Achieves visual control over what is done and fills the entire sheet

- By controlling their movements, the child enjoys this discovery, which encourages them to vary the shape and dimensions in their strokes, noticing strokes vertical, horizontal, circular and on some occasions you can see the use of various colors.

- The strokes are more ordered; he rehearses on how to hold the pencil but it is up to three years of age that he approaches the adult's way of holding the pencil.

- Try to establish relationships between the traced and the environment

At this stage Lowenfeld and Brittain (1980) argue:

"The role of the adult is now much more important, since, often, the child will come to him with his scribbles, eager to share his enthusiasm. This participation in an experience is what is important and not the drawing itself "(p.124).

Motor coordination being the most important achievement in this phase, the child's purpose is to move the pencil on the paper, since all his pleasure comes from the mastery he is acquiring over his movements. Therefore, any fact that we love doodles

discourages him will create inhibitions in his subsequent creations, it is appropriate that you congratulate him and encourage him in his activity.

As the controlled  the child will give it a name, which indicates that it is moving on to the next stage.