Chapter 4: Joyful Sorrow

The Following Week (around 8 pm):

"Derek?" Addison asks as he looks at the ceiling of the trailer.
He doesn't respond so her hand instinctively moves to his chest. She is surprised by how fast his heart is beating and gently climbs over him. He frowns and gently slides her off.
"I'm fine Addie. I've just been waiting for something and it's finally coming today." He lies, sitting up.
His eyes are a deep, sparkling blue that has Addison mesmerized. She hasn't seen him like this in a long time; never since they had that stupid argument about kids.

"Honey, I'm home!" Derek calls as he kicks off his shoes and hangs up his coat.

"Hey." Addison runs down the stairs and jumps into his arms.
He groans and they laugh as he picks her up and twirls her around the room.

"I was only gone for a week." He smiles as she leads him upstairs.
"A very long one." She nods before flopping on the bed.

She watches him unpack his suitcase and he keeps glancing at her.
"Well, how was it?" She gets off the bed and shakes his arm vigorously, wanting every detail.

"It was hot." He smirks as her lips press into a hard line. His eyes sparkle and his charming smile makes her laugh.

"It's Africa, Derek. Of course, it's hot." She smiles and watches him push the empty suitcase underneath their bed.

"Hmm, well they were mostly kids... believe it or not, the volunteers were all under the age of twenty!" He says, standing.

"Where were the adults?" She asks.
"The adults were sick." He says softly, putting his hands on her waist and kissing her cheek.
"Oh." She says, unbuttoning his shirt.

He nods and unbuckles his belt before unbuttoning his jeans.
"Addie..." He says as they toss his clothes in the hamper.
"Hmm." She nods as they slide into the bed.

"We both want kids and-" He starts.
"I'm not ready yet." She stops him and he frowns gently.
His eyes dim and he holds her hair gently.
"You said that six years ago babe." He whispers, kissing her neck.
"And I'm still not." She interrupts.
"We're getting old." He says softly.

"We've been married for 8 years." She says defensively.
"Please Addie. Think about it. You deliver babies, don't you want one to keep?" He asks.
"I do. Just not now." She says calmly.
"Well when?" He sits up, stopping his lips at her clavicle.
"I don't know Derek." She sighs.

"Tomorrow? Next week? Next year? Or do I have to wait another six years to even bring it up in a discussion?" He asks, frustration overwhelming him.
"I'm just not ready Derek, it's a lot of responsibility!" She says as he gets out of the bed.

"We're surgeons, we have a lot of responsibility! It's practically in our job description!" He yells from down the stairs.
She follows him into the kitchen and watches him pour himself a cup of hot coffee.

"But kids- Derek, we are happy." She says.

"Are we?!... Addie? Are we happy?" He asks.
"You're not happy-?" She asks, her back straightened and her eyes tearing.
"That's not what I meant." He says softly.
"Yes, it is." She says getting up.
He puts the coffee down and slips his hand into hers before turning her to him.

"Addie, you know I love you." He says softly, running his fingers through her soft, red hair.
"I know." She smiles lightly.

"I just... going to Africa and seeing those kids helping taking care of their parents... it brought out this in me. We can wait... if you really want to." He sighs and lets her sink into his arms.
"Yeah?" She asks as he leads her upstairs.
"Yeah, it'll be okay with just the two of us." He nods.