Chapter 3 Marcus Delon Wesson

Classification: Mass murderer

Characteristics: Parricide - Incestuous relationships with his daughters 

number of victims: 9

Date of murders: March 12, 2004

Date of arrest: Same day 

Date of birth: August 22, 1946

Victims profile: Sebhrenah April Wesson, 25 / Elizabeth Breani Kina Wesson, 17 / Illabelle Carrie Wesson, 8 / Aviv Dominique Wesson, 7 / Johnathon St. Charles Wesson, 7 / Ethan St. Laurent Wesson, 4 / Sedona Vadra Wesson, 2 / Marshey St. Christopher Wesson, 2 / Jeva St. Vladensvspry Wesson, 1

Method of murder: Shooting (.22 caliber handgun)

Location: Fresno, California, USAStatus: Sentenced to death on June 27, 2005

Marcus Delon Wesson is a man convicted of nine counts of first-degree murder and 14 sex crimes, including the rape and molestation of his underage daughters. All of his victims were his own children, fathered by incestuous relationships with his daughters and nieces, as well as the children by his wife. It is to date Fresno, California's worst mass murder.

After a March 12, 2004 standoff with police over a child custody issue, the nine bodies were discovered in a bedroom filled with antique coffins, each victim having been shot through the eye.

At his trial, Wesson offered as defense that his 25-year-old daughter Sebhrenah, whose 18-month-old son Marshey (Wesson's own son and grandson) was killed as well, had herself committed the murders, and then subsequently committed suicide. The murder weapon, a .22 caliber handgun was found with her body, and Sebhrenah's DNA was found on the gun, which lent credence to Wesson's claim.

Many potential jurors were excused from the trial after claiming to be 'terrified to be in the same room with Wesson.

Wesson was convicted of nine counts of first-degree murder on June 17, 2005, and also found guilty on 14 counts of forcible sexual assault and the sexual molestation of seven of his own underage daughters and nieces. Before March 12, 2004, Wesson had declared his intention to relocate his daughters and their children to Washington state, where Wesson's parents lived. On March 12, 2004, several members of Wesson's extended family, along with two daughters who rebelled against Wesson, converged on his family compound demanding the release of Wesson's other children.

Fresno police were summoned to what was described as a child custody issue, and a standoff ensued. During the course of the standoff, Wesson, who at first appeared cooperative to the police, was permitted to step away and go back into his house. Fresno police testified they did not hear gunshots being fired shortly after, though other witnesses present at the standoff testified they did hear gunshots fired at that time. At his trial, Wesson, represented by public defenders Peter Jones and Ralph Torres, presented the defense that his 25-year-old daughter Sebhrenah, whose 18-month-old son Marshey (Wesson's own son and grandson) was killed as well, had herself committed the murders, and then subsequently committed suicide. The murder weapon, a .22 caliber handgun, was found with her body, and Sebhrenah's DNA was found on the gun, which lent credence to Wesson's claim.

The jury declined to find that Wesson fired the fatal shots, but convicted him of murder anyway, presumably finding that he had persuaded his children to enter into a suicide pact.

Wesson was convicted of nine counts of first-degree murder on June 17, 2005, and also found guilty on 14 counts of forcible sexual assault and the sexual molestation of seven of his daughters and nieces. Wesson was sentenced to death on June 27, 2005.