°Two - When Is The Right Time?

Dawn.

Gathering.

[Chatters]

Jola was bounded up at the front of the palace with a gathering of the inhabitants around. Some of the guards stood by her. She bowed her head in shame. The words from the crowd were killing her already. None uttered a comforting word. She could not dare to look up at their faces; she knew they would be burning with anger.

When they suddenly raised their voices, she knew that the chiefs were stepping out. And the thought of that scared her more.

“Silence!”

Following that word was a complete silence.

The highest ranked chief, a potbellied, bald headed man in his early sixties stood in the middle of the other chiefs and cleared his throat. “As we all know that we are still celebrating the demise of our late king, we chiefs do not think that this is the right time to give cruel judgements. Though we know that she deserves it, we do not want her to mark the continuance of cruel…”

The murmur started. It suddenly grew and the chief paused.

Jola could not remember the last time she prayed, she was not even ready to think of that. She just had to pray. Maybe the gods would listen. Maybe there really exist a being so forgiving and rescuing. “Silence!”

An intense silence followed.

“We aren’t being inconsiderate,” the second in rank chief said. He was the shortest of the chiefs. He sighed. “We understand you, we know what you all want but this is just not the right time.”

“When is the right time?” Some of the crowd chorused.

“Let this week pass, by then, the celebrations will be over and we will be contented with whatever judgement she is given by you all.”

The last words put smiles on the faces of the people. They were ready to retaliate. They wanted to watch her cry and beg helplessly. Some even wished that she had been lynched.

“For now, she should remain in the prison. She will be judged in seven days time,” the chief concluded.

Immediately the chiefs left, the guards returned Jola to the prison and the inhabitants started departing in groups.