Weeks - Part One

Days passed by with little to no progress for Finn's case. Tandrin's attention was caught up in conversations with King Edarius and Lord Resul, or in the ongoing argument with our parents about returning to West Draulin. Tandrin was neglecting duties in West Draulin to stay and help me. For me, the argument revolved around how it was about time I began my proper courtship with Lady Mayah of East Draulin. Tairia wrote us letters too, claiming that she was bored without her brothers around.

While Tandrin appeased and distracted the king, the spymaster and our parents, I kept searching for helpful information. I managed a few more visits to Meyat's office before the new Acting Director moved in. I found a handful of documents that implied he was involved in stealing money from the Order and possibly sharing confidential information. I passed everything I found on to Tandrin.

I didn't find anything else about an assassination, or any mention of 'associates'. Neither did I find anything about Finn's first arrest and torture. Thinking about the lack of Finn's arrest report made me think of another set of notes. Which was why, exactly a week after arresting Finn, I stood waiting outside Lord Malte's office.

I had dressed up for the occasion, as if Malte needed reminder of who I was. But I was hoping to handle the conversation the way Tandrin would, and looking the part was integral to Tandrin's methods. When Malte opened the door, he didn't look nearly as surprised as I had expected.

"Lord Tandrix. Come in."

I followed him in and took the seat across from his desk. Malte sat in his chair, and for a moment we eyed each other. He was used to me being a student and I was used to him being my instructor. I had always had more social standing, but at least the Order had given him some level of control over me. Now, I sat in front of him as Lord Tandrix of West Draulin. My graduation ceremony meant that in the eyes of the Order, we were equals. My name meant I was more than him. He probably wasn't sure what to expect from me.

To be fair, neither was I.

Malte cleared his throat. "Lord Tandrix, will this be a long meeting? Shall I call for refreshments?"

"That isn't necessary," I said, and I decided to get straight to the point. That's what Tandrin would do. "Lord Malte, approximately four years ago, I had an unusual friend."

"Finagale."

Of course he would immediately know who I was talking about, but I was surprised nonetheless. "Yes. I'm sure you have realized that he is the same thief who was recently arrested in the aftermath of the attempted assassination."

Malte nodded. "Of course, my lord. He was also arrested for trespassing and the previous Director interrogated him."

"Tortured," I corrected. "Meyat tortured him and tried to pretend it was an interrogation."

"I have no evidence that suggests malicious intent," Malte said. "Lord Tandrix, remember that I faithfully served Lord Meyat for years. He was one of my original trainers. You are a very noble young man, so I know you believe what you are saying. But I caution you to be careful. Throwing accusations around without proof can only cause trouble."

My first instinct was to be defensive, but I tampered it. Arguing like an insulted child wasn't going to sway Malte to help me. So I thought of something else. "You were there. You watched Meyat whip him until he was unconscious. What do you think would have happened if I hadn't stepped in the way? Meyat was going to kill him. Let alone everything that happened before or after, is whipping someone to death usually part of the interrogation process?"

Malte shook his head. "I was... uncomfortable with the situation, I'll admit. It was actually a relief when you stepped up. However, even though I agree with you on that point, I still see no proof that the boy wasn't involved in the assassination attempt. It seems possible—likely, even—that Meyat's overreaction was an attempt to silence a fellow conspirator."