16: Tears

It's taking forever for Thursday to come. Wren doesn't go to school again for Tuesday which means another day of silence and awkwardness. Wednesday, Wren does come, but only after English, and me and Amélie present the book report. I have to speak most of the time because Amélie keeps on switching between French and English and no one understands her.

Finally, Thursday. Today's the day. Even before school starts I'm already crazy nervous. Dad makes a big deal about it, which only makes me even more nervous.

Dad settles in his seat. "Big day for you, huh?"

"Yeah." I can't even focus on eating the cereal.

Oh my goodness. I'm asking out a girl for the first time ever!

"Nervous?" Dad catches on.

"Crazy nervous," I reply. "How was your first time asking someone out?"

He leans forward in his chair. "It shouldn't go too bad. If you already have a good relationship, she'll probably say yes." I hope so.

The fact that he said 'probably' and not 'definitely' amps up my nervous level. If Wren says no, I will crawl into a hole and cry forever. Let's try to be hopeful about it. "Thanks."

Dad nods since he's chewing. I manage to eat half before my fluttering stomach refuses to eat anymore. I realize something: When do I ask her? English is too early to ask, and Zoe will see. She doesn't need something else to cry about. P.E. is too weird of a place to ask.

Lunch! It's the perfect place to ask! The biggest issue of Zoe being there is removed! Not that I'm necessarily happy about it, I still feel bad about rejecting her, but for this occasion, it's a good thing. I can text Wren to come over and then I'll ask.

Somehow, today is also when Zoe starts being friendly today. She smiles when I walk into English and I can't help but think about how nice she looks. "Hey. We're cool."

Just like that? "You're sure?"

"Seriously. I'm fine now. Sorry about getting angry at you. I just needed time to... recover from what happened."

"Sweet." Today is already going great. "So I have something big to announce."

"What is it?"

"I am asking Wren out." I say proudly.

I can literally see Zoe's brightness dim as soon as I say it. "Oh, you still..." She turns away from me. Oh man, I made Zoe upset again. Just as soon as she felt better. Should not have told her that.

I put a hand on her shoulder. "Zoe, you didn't know I still like Wren?"

"Leave me alone." Zoe bats my hand away, voice breaking halfway through 'alone'. Looks like I'm back to square one. Today isn't that great anymore. She faces the front as Mr. Tran walks in. Her face is still tilted away from me. I can see her mouth slightly trembling.

Before Wren even puts a foot through the door Mr. Tran somehow senses her presence. "Wren Fox!"

"Hmm."

"This is the tenth time you have arrived late. I cannot tolerate this behavior anymore. We are going to the office." Wren rolls her eyes. "And I'll be taking that skateboard for the rest of the day," he adds.

Wren's eyes widen and she holds her skateboard tight with both hands. "No, you... can't." She's right. Mr. Tran doesn't know how important that skateboard is to Wren.

"I can." Mr. Tran stands up. "Put it here, next to my desk."

Wren stays by the doorway, silently pleading him not to take it away from her.