Chapter 2

Dean picked at the food in front of him. Jesus Christ, this was a bad idea. "Babe, are you alright? You've barely touched your food," Cas remarked, noticing the barely touched shortcake and the full plates of food in front of Dean.

Dean flinched at the pet name. He kept his head down, knowing that if he looked at the thing in front of him, he would crumble. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Really. I'm just not hungry, I guess," Dean stammered, still poking at his shortcake.

Dean's breath stopped short and his face went red hot as he felt a warm hand on his chin, lifting up his head. He was forced to look the thing in its eyes as its free hand gently touched Dean's forehead. It frowned. "You don't feel sick, do you? Do you feel naseous? Have you been coughing lately?"

Dean reluctantly removed Cas's hand from his forehead and forced himself to look away from it. "No, really, I'm fine. Trust me." Dean almost let the word "babe" slip out. He must've been getting used to the feeling. God, he needed to get out fast. This was getting weird, even for him.

Dean could feel Cas's eyes on him for only a minute longer, though it felt like an eternity. "Okay," Cas finally said, so quiet Dean could barely make out what it had said. He heard it packing up the picnic food and even saw its arms outstretch towards Dean's untouched cookies and cake. "We'll save these for when you're feeling better, okay? Don't worry about it. You should still eat something, though. I'll get you a salad on the way home."

Dean made a face and Cas laughed. He lingered on its laugh for a while longer, realizing he had only ever really heard Cas- the real Cas- laugh once or twice. He could barely remember what it sounded like. Maybe he'll have a chance to hear it again once he gets out of here. Maybe.

Dean's heart sank. If he ever gets out of here. Why hasn't he left yet? This place isn't real, there are no consequences to his actions, so why hasn't he done the smart thing and just left? Clearly the Jinn was altering his mind in some way.

"Dean?" Dean snapped up and looked at Cas, who was looking back at Dean, concern filling its eyes. "Are you sure you're alright?" Dean said nothing. "You're going to sleep when we get home. You need the rest."

"But-"

"No. Dean, you're clearly sick-"

"Cas, just-"

"No." Cas's voice was stern, and it didn't take its eyes off Dean's. "I'm not reasoning with you, Dean, you're resting and that's final."

Dean scoffed, but said nothing else, instead helping pack up the food. This might be my chance to leave. But, somewhere deep down, he worried that he wouldn't take that chance.