Chapter Four: Part Two

Niall’s next move was obvious, and Griff’s pulse raced, desperate to prevent the inevitable. Griff scanned the room. How could he stop Niall? Nothing jumped out at him. Nothing came to mind.

Nothing could save Kala.

“Don’t do it.” Please don’t do it.

Niall tilted his head. “Don’t be doing what now?” His innocent act didn’t last. “This?”

He materialized outside the window, levitating seven stories above the pool patio, Kala at his side. No sound escaped her mouth from behind the magical ropes, but her throat jumped with her effort to scream regardless.

Griff tensed, his muscles vibrating and twitching. Despite her bindings, Kala’s head trembled, and her eyes warned him off from a rescue, as though she’d rather die than see him end his life in a one-way attempt to save her. Her reaction just proved the depth of her giving nature, of her inner strength—strength far beyond his physical power.

Niall hooked his finger around one of the cords, making a show of his plan to release her. “Is she important enough to die for, my friend?”

Every cell in Griff’s body answered. Yes.

Yes, she was worth protecting.

She was worth guarding.

She was a treasure.

Griff pounced from the kitchen, covering the length of his apartment in one stride. He pushed off the window frame into the sunlight. Charred blisters erupted on his skin. He ignored the pain and swept his arms forward.

A hand’s length beyond Griff’s grasp, Niall grinned and released Kala. She plummeted toward the ground below, her eyes wide with terror.

Griff dove after her, but she was just out of reach. He stretched his claws into long talons, refusing to give up, refusing to give into the agony searing his body. The curved hook of one fingertip snagged her jeans in midair. The ground rushed toward them fast.

Too fast.

He twisted, flipping her upright, and wrapped his still-humanoid arms around her. Wings burst from his back, stretching out under the flapping hem of his open shirt. Air caught under his giant wings, and they swooped over the thankfully deserted pool patio. A flap secured her rescue and sent them skyward again, up toward the now-welcoming, healing, strength-giving sun.

Niall appeared beside them and winked. “There be your wish for catchin’ me, my friend.”

He disappeared before Griff could respond. Although whether he’d thank Niall or kill him, he didn’t know.

Another flap brought them level with the top of the apartment building, and he gently set Kala down on the flat roof. He landed beside her and withdrew his wings and all but one claw.

His face grew warm at the thought of what she’d seen, blackened boils—which had now fully healed and disappeared, thank the Maker—covering a human-looking creature who had sprouted wings and claws. Not to mention that she’d been in mortal danger because of him. He wouldn’t blame her one bit for never wanting anything more to do with him.

Instead, as soon as his remaining claw sliced off Niall’s ropes, she sucked in a breath and threw her arms around him. “Thank you.”

“You’re…” He paused. Maybe he shouldn’t give her any ideas. But he had to know. “You’re not angry with me for nearly getting you killed?”

A moment passed without an answer. Tension built in his gut, but he refused to acknowledge the worry. At least he was getting another chance to hold her while her breathing settled.

After a final sigh, she moved back a half-step and met his gaze. “None of that was your fault.” She smiled, outshining the golden sunlight around them. “I came back to your apartment and chose to be involved, remember? Besides, you’re not to blame for Niall’s actions, and you chose to save me, even though it was supposed to kill you. How could I possibly be mad at you?”

When she put it that way… The bands around his chest loosened a fraction.

She played with a lock of his hair, letting the sun’s rays bounce off the strands. “So does this mean you’re not cursed anymore?”

He brushed his fingers over her cheek. The curse seemed the least of the ways she’d already changed him.

“The Great Owl was right. Niall did help me find what I needed. He taught me how to recognize a new treasure to guard and protect.”

Her smile broadened into a grin. “Good.” Her gaze dropped to his lips. “Now where were we before he so rudely interrupted us?”

“I think I was about to do this.” He pulled her tight against his chest and lifted her into his arms, guiding her legs around his hips.

Their lips met, and she pulled him harder against her. Warmth flooded his chest, filling the void in his soul. Yes, this was where he belonged.

She stroked his mouth with her tongue, staking her claim with a ferocity that contrasted with her softness. Her hands explored every inch of him she could reach, and her moans reinvigorated a certain part of his anatomy. A rumble shook his chest, and he slipped his hands under the back of her shirt.

For the first time, he felt alive. Truly alive. No matter how long they had, every moment with her was a gift.

She was undoubtedly more valuable than anything else he could imagine.

A treasure.

*****

Thank you for reading Unintended Guardian! If you enjoyed this taste of the Mythos world, sign up for my email list at http://jamigold.com/mail. Learn when my new books become available and take advantage of pre-order-only sale prices.

Treasured Claim, the first novel-length story in the Mythos Legacy series, features a dragon-shifter heroine and releases Spring 2015.

Desperate for treasure,
a dragon resorts to thievery,
but a knight steals her heart.

Available for preorder at http://jamigold.com/tc